Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Swap

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stylin6, Jun 13, 2002.

1. stylin6

stylin6 Registered Member

I've got a 70 Suburban with factory air conditioning. I believe all the 67-72s had the compressor on the passenger side with the short hoses. I found the brackets for the later model A/C compressors for the drivers side, but can't find any for the passenger side at the junkyards. Anybody ever swapped theirs out and know of an easier way?

2. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

They sell all those brackets in the LMC catalogs. Get one at

http://www.lmctruck.com/

I have a '72 blazer that came with factory A/C but all thats left is the under dash stuff and some of the cut hoses under the hood. No brackets, compressor, condensor, nothing. Let me know how it goes...I'm also wanting to get the a/c going again. I'll probably end up buying everything and starting over.

Later,
    David

3. stylin6

stylin6 Registered Member

I hear that! I saw the brackets in the LMC catalog and was hoping to get around spending the $200 for them- looks like that may be the only option....:)

4. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

I guess besides the junkyard the LMC is your only choice. There must be one in a junkyard somewhere with the brackets. Are they really $200 for the brackets? Outch.

Maby LMC will cut you a deal if you buy everything...like a complete A/C kit. Worth a shot huh?

Later,
    David

5. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I have the factory A/C out on my 72 Blazer and am wanting to upgrade to new technology. It worked at one time, I wonder what all the parts would be worth?

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Check with Bill O'Grady at Vintage Chevy. He usually has a few complete A/C systems and some incomplete ones for the '67-'72 trucks/'69-'72 Blazers. 510-651-5874.

7. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

I am going to go with the Vintage Air Sure Fit system in my 71. This will do several things and not cost much more than messing with the stock unit. First it is all new technology; second, it eliminates all the firewall unit; third, it is far better than the original as it heats and cools better; fourth, IT WORKS without doing a lot of modifications. I can buy a complete air/heat/def unit with everything including compressor, evap, lines, ducts etc to go into the original vents and using the original switch panel for under $1,000.00. I have a friend who has installed several in street rods and older cars and he says it can be installed by anyone with decent mechanical ability as it is made for the exact model of vehicle.
    My 2c worth!!!!

8. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

That's the way I'm heading, though they don't claim to keep your rear passengers in comfort.

9. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

That's been my question on A/C in my blazer. What about the folks in the back(mainly my kids). Will they stay comfortable? Do they make a unit that can cool a blazer?

Matthew

10. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

I have just been convinced to not use Vintage Air, and go with Old Air Products instead. This is due to the replaceability of parts in the future if needed. Anyway, both aftermarket units will produce as much or more than original AC did. I am buying mine from Classic Heartbeat as they have a very good price. I live in South Texas and it gets pretty hot here. I do not know if there is anything that will really cool the rear area, especially if you have a soft top, in the summer heat... Oh well, just take the top off an go for it...

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

To cool the rear split off onr of the vent lines and run a hose to the rear.

12. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I thought about that too (raising the tunnel a bit and pipe air down the center to the back), but the guys I talked to suggested a 'burb arrangement (probably twice the cost)