Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C to on board air?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SuperUnknown, Feb 8, 2001.

1. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

I would like to turn my a/c in to an on board air system.
    Can this be done with my compresor? I heard that the GM units use frion for lube and can not be used for other things.
    Is this true? Dose any one out there have a set up like this?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the best thing to do is find a older york compresor and use it. do a search on this and you will find lots of postes with info and links to sites with this info

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can do it, but you will, as you mentioned, be replacing the compressor regularly. Plus side is that they bolt right in, and that they are dirt cheap. Internally oiled pump is the way to go though, just takes some work and effort to find one, and fit it in.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

4. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

The biggest deal on these units are the need for an inline oiler. You should be able to find a york on just about anything dodgefamily or imports...definite way to go.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'm also going to do the same with mine sometime soon, i will use a GM compressor mostly becuase it fits ok so i'll have to give it oil. so far with the york i have'nt found a brackit for a Chevy a J**p yes. sometime ago we put a/c compressor from a toyota p/u on a Chevy, we used brackits from Alan Grove he makes stuff for street rods. so far this compressor is still going strong, his will air up 4 38 SSR's before a quick air will do one tire. I would think someone here as done one

Drive it like you stole it !