Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C ??

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In the El Camino I recently bought, someone has removed all the A/C components. No compresser, condenser, or lines. Any idea what it might cost to put A/C back in this car ??

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Depends if you want to stay with the r-12(big $$$) or switch to 134a.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats hard to say depending on where you go for them. Some items can be boneyard sourced for sure. I would recommend a new compressor though. Its funny I just saw a condenser in someones backyard last night. You already know most Elkys/Montes/Bu's as well as their B.O.P counterparts can be used /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was planning on getting everything I can from a salvage yard. I was also thinking a new compresser. I kinda prefer the cheaper system, as long as it blows cold air, I'll be happy.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

If i were you, i;d switch to the new 134 freon, but in order for that to work properly, you will need the new condensor for that specific freon. I have been fighting my ac system for almost 3 years now, doing whatever i can to get it as cold as my other truck which came from the factory with it.
    I asked a few ac shops around town here and thats what they were telling me too, the older r-12 condensers don't have the cooling capacity that the newer ones do. A new condenser that is made for the new freon was nearly the same price as a stock one anyway.

When i did the ac in my old Monte Carlo several years back, i had to buy a new compressor,lines, the system needed flushed and then charged. I had a ac service place do the flush and freon install with r-12 at the time. After everything was bought and installed i was runnin aroung $500.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Here's what I have too deal with. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] As you can see, all the A/C stuff is missing.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Is the condenser still in front of radiator? It does look sparse. Well some of that stuff will be easy to get, the other smaller stuff usually gets thrown on the ground in yards as guys remove other stuff. Worse comes to worse you could get something aftermarket. Is that chevy orange short block in there a rebuild ?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the condenser still in front of radiator? It does look sparse. Well some of that stuff will be easy to get, the other smaller stuff usually gets thrown on the ground in yards as guys remove other stuff. Worse comes to worse you could get something aftermarket. Is that chevy orange short block in there a rebuild ?

[/ QUOTE ] The condenser is missing also. So I'll be scowering the salvage yards for about everything. I will buy a new compresser. Don't know anything about this car other then it was in a auto museum befor I bought it. Wish I had the history on it, but I'm working blind on this one.

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I may be able to strip the A/C parts off of my car (malibu) and ship them to you.
    I don't ever use the A/C on my car. I converted to R134 and then blew my new compressor, so everything would need to be purged, but that's no different than the parts from a junk yard.

Let me know what you think and what parts you need. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I need everything that go's under the hood including all brackets, as you can see from the pics. Only thing is money is tight right now, so it won't be any time soon. I just like to think ahead. Shoot me a PM about a price.