Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Batchman

Batchman Registered Member

My A/C seems to be slowing down the hotter the engine and temp outside gets. I got a vent thermoter and it reads 58-60 degrees if it is under 80 dergrees outside over 80 and it does not blow as hard on high, and reads 75-80 degrees coming from the vent. When idling the clutch is still turning but really slow and seems to stick a little. I just converted to 134a, oil charge and stop leak. There is also alot of condensation on the high and low pressure side ? Any suggestions?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Did you change the receiver/dryer. Is it possible you put too much oil in (there is most likely a lot of oil from before). Did you evacuate the system and remove the old r12. If not, id be willing to bet that the two refrigerants mixing is the problem.

3. Batchman

Batchman Registered Member

By evacuating do you mean having it vacumed down at a shop because it had no old freon in it the A/C was not working when I bought it. The reciever/dryer is that the little black cylinder thing by the radiator? No I did not chahnge it? Should I will? I lose all my 134a if I change it out?

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Even though it didnt work, that doesnt mean all the freon has been removed. I dont know how much the r134a cost you, but if you want it to work correctly again Id change the receiver dryer (yes, the can shaped thing), and have the refrigerant thats in there recovered and then evacuate the system. Also make sure to replace any o rings you remove with r134a compatible ones. New hoses wouldnt hurt, but not necessary. Also, make sure you use the correct oil of the right type. I think these retrofit kits you buy at the parts store are kinda misleading in that they make it sound like you add a little oil and the new refrigerant and it will work fine when in fact there are a lot of things you need to change to make it work correctly.