Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Fast, Jul 30, 2000.

1. Fast

Fast Registered Member

Well this weekend my ac compressor bite the big one. Where is the best place to find a new one at a decent price and what do I need to change with it? Should I go with the 134a or R 12 if so where can I find the R 12 cheap at.

Fast 84 K5

http://www.Fast.coloradok5.com

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

There's no such thing as cheap R-12! Actuall there is some cheap stuff floating around, but don't use it if you like staying cool. R-12 is the better refrigerant, but it's illegal to manufacture or import to the US, so it's not greeting any cheaper or easier to find, plus there's the whole environment thing. That said, if you put 134 in your system, it won't be as efficient as it was with R-12, since 134 needs more to do the same job. To repair an existing system, I'd go for R-12, if you're going to install or replace a system, check out the 134, the systems designed for it work well. I can't help you much with the compressor except to say check NAPA or the shop you get to do the work.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You have to be licensed by the EPA to purchase R-12. I think it's about $40-50 bucks a can, at an A/C shop.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I converted my A/c from r12 to 134a last summer and like it so far.The 134a doesn't seem to get as cold but the differance is not that noticable. Its been over 100 degrees the last few days and I'me cool.
    If you change your system over you can get a kit with all the necessary fittings, o rings,compressor oil and 134a for around $60 at many auto parts stores. I would also recomend that you put in a new drier( The thing that looks like a silver beer can)While you have it tore apart.