Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a CB kinda fell into my lap today, how should i mount it?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by muddysub, Oct 27, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i don't want it under the dash, but i was looking at on top of the dash where it drops down in the middle or maybe on the bottom of my over head console. any other suggestions?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I mounted mine to the front of my console in the K5.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I put mine in the overhead console. I really like it there because I cna stuff the handset and cord up ther and close the sliding door so its out of sight. One thing though pulling that console down and drilling and reaming holes for all the wires was a pain and that console prolly weighs about 30 pounds or so so it'd be best if u had someone else to help you put it back up... My radio is prety small so I dunno if yours would fit but I'd try it anyway its a great place. Another note: pre plan some way to secure the mic its annoying having it swinging around, the arc in its path makes it swing right into my head. I hook mine to the ashtray when I'm not yellin at people on my PA /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well i mounted it to the front of the console so it's lookin up at me and the mic in on the dash within easy reach. i'll get pics i think it looks cool. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mine is mounted to the front of the console. I usely have the mic laying in my lap till I need it.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think im going to mount mine right on the roof! run the cord out and between the roof and cap wear they meet and up to the top of the roof were the antenna will be on my light bar when i get one..

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Be carefull if you run your antenna wire between the cab and the removeable top. I did that for a while and ended up pinching the cable and shorted out the radio.... NOT a good thing. It might be better to cut a notch out behind the weather stripping if you want to run it that way.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx ill keep that in mine!!

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I used to have mine mounted on the roof and I liked it.

10. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i just got a new cb radio (cobra 29 NW LTD classic) i think im gunna mount it to the roof, i cant wait, yea i also Have a PA, and i find it to be amuseing, since i can yell at friends in traffic or at school, i love it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. Sandman

We got busted back in high school for that once. Be carefull, they treated it as impersenating an emergancy vehicle or something along those lines. We got in major $hit for it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

LOL no kidding, well now then, i will keep that in mind, lol yea we got yelled at by one of the school "grounds gards" but never in deep trouble, and well yea, i dont always use mine at school, but thanks for the warning. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, and i mounted my new cb on the roof, looks kinda neat, and its out of the way, i might move it back further, but i feel like big rig style /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. Sandman

I used to have mine there and I liked it.