Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A cough and sputter and....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by POWERMAD, Mar 26, 2003.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

With a roar she breaths again.
    Ahhh nothing sounds better than a big block, still love that gear drive whine.
    After almost 2 years the 73 is back in business. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Gee all I had to do was install the water pump and radiator /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

right on congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I want a BBC some day..........***SIGH**** /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'll settle for gear drive, I think thats within my grasp.

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

so riddle me this... is a gear drive worth the extra $$? I am gathering parts for the rebuild and I think I can sneak a gear drive past the wife if I order it with the heads... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What benefits am I going to see?

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Well for one the timing will always be dead on even after 100.000 miles.
    They sound cool (to me anyways)
    ya just have to get used to idiots tellin ya that the steering pump is low on fluid.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya the straight cut timing gears are bad a$$! Accurate timing for sure!
    The high rpm guys like to use gears because when you use a chain (in our case) it will actually strech and change the timing a small amount at the higher rpms, It is also way more of a durable system. But on the normal joe shmo, they're just really really cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I have heard that gear drives tend to wear out cam and crank bearings faster than a timming chain would. I heard it was because there is no give in the gear drive set up and adds alot of vibration to the crank. I dont know if this is true, has anyone else heard this? I think I saw this on horse power tv (or one of those types of shows). they were saying that a belt drive is the best way to go. but there is no way I would go that way I think the belt drive set ups are like a grand /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I dropped that one in in 98, no problems yet.
    That rig has hualed me all over creation with no sweat.
    ya a belt drive would be cool... if ya were in a rag or on a tv show rag.
    I am putting a gear drive in the SBC that I am building for the K5. and will most likely be installing one in the other BBC.

9. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I want to put one in my small block as well, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of those problems. if you have had one in your motor for 5 years they must be ok.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

It will transmitt some more vibes than a chain for sure. But the only precaution would be a thrust retention device for the cam, and even then you would only need that in some instances.

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have heard that the harmonics produced will screw with the knock sensor if the engine has one.
    Mine came with a thrust button. I had to machine the front cover to get it to fit.
    Ebrock timing cover.

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Holy crap! Ya I would think that the gears totally would mess with the knock sensor(s). They rely on certain harmonics to operate correctly. I never really thought of that.......hhhmmmmmm. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Ive heard of alot of people having to machine their covers to get that damn button to work. One fix I've seen is that they have a roller cam end plate machined to the front of the block to keep the cam from "walking" instead of the button. But either way is more work...