Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a couple 6.2 questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by g_mo, Jul 3, 2005.

1. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

i've aquired an 82 6.2. i don't know the milage on the motor. i pulled the oil pan, there is no sludge in the bottom end and there is still cross hatch in the cylinders. what else should i look for to determine if it needs rebuilding before i swap it in my truck? i'm running a 350/465 now. can i use the same flywheel and clutch with the 6.2?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do a compression test if it makes you feel better...however if you can still see crosshatching in the cylinders and no other problems it's probably in good shape.

The 6.2 uses it's own flywheel, you see them come up on eBay often enough.

I'm somewhat sure the pressure plate and clutch disc are the same as what is found on the 350's. You could find that out at a parts store for sure though. My 6.2 donor came with a flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc already...so I used them.

Rene

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

One thing I would replace weather it needs it or not is the timing chain set. They take a beating with the diesel. A full gear drive timing set would be even better, but a little spendy.