Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a couple odd questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by the professor, Feb 13, 2003.

1. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

I know, everyone has known someone who made a 4x4 out of a 4x2...but how about the other way..??
    --
    I got a K20, lots of cab and interior work...got a donor 3/4t 2x4 suburban donor...
    --
    -
    It looks like a little alignment and drill about 16 holes and it will work...
    --
    anybody try...?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    --
    --
    Now, on that note...want to change it to 5 lug in anycase...more and cheaper wheel and tires...got 16.5x9.75 & 33x12.5-16.5 wheels and tires...can get a 12bolt diff in the junk yard cheap..better ratios...

Does anyone know if you can use 1/2t hubs and disks on a 3/4t Dana44 without any mods..???

Does anyone know if you can use 1/2t hubs and disks on a 3/4t 2wd front end without changing the spindle and stuff?? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    --
    --
    1978 K20
    1989 burban front clip (all the details)& doors
    1989 burban bucket seat, console, dash, tilt, comboswitch
    overhead console radio
    LUND visor
    2" body
    6" chassis
    1989 454 4bolt crate motor
    eddlebrock manifold
    headers
    all ca smog equip, dual cats x-over 2.5 in throuh
    crane cam &springs
    roller rockers
    MSD billet HEI dist
    MSD 6a /remote coil
    TH400 (wide ratio 2.71 first gearset)
    1200rpm converter
    NP205
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have recently done this. I put my 78 2wd suspension under a 90 4x4 frame. It actually went very easy. If I remember correctly there are 10 holes needed to be driled on the front, plus the hole for your flex lines(although I just rerouted mine through another hole close by). For the alignment part, while the 2wd is complete(or on another complete 2wd) I measured the distance from the upper shock mount on the frame back to plate the upper a arm is bolted to, and simply used this measurment on both sides to align it on the new frame. Even though they shock mounts are slightly different they are in the same location and the 2wd shock will fit them. Also a way of helping to align it is to connect the pitman arm off the steering box up to the centre link, cause if that fits then your all right. Also if you didn't know the entire front end can come off in one piece, and I needed to have weight put on the front to linr up the idler arm bracket that comes off the frame. My frame also had to be cut down inside the top of the framerails where the motor mounts bolt on. The old frame width was around 2" straight front to back whereas my new one was tapered towards the back. This mught have difference in year and might not apply to you.

As for the rear I cut the rivets holding the 4x4 shackle brackets coming off the frame then did the same with my 2wd brackets and bolted them to the new frame using grade 8 5/16 x 1 1/4" bolts. If you don't do this the vehical will not sit right unless you lift the front end.

this job went very easy for me, on a hardness scale of 1 - 10 id say it was a 5.
    What I've told you may not all apply to your applocation due to year and model differences, but I hope this gives you a good idea as to what you should expect.

3. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

oh, and im not sure if the 1/2 ton spindles will fit, but you may need a small lift to clear the 33x16.5??? wow thats wide. If they were 33x12.5 or so i'd say a 1.5 - 2 " lift but maybe more if there 16"+ wide.

4. the professor

Thanks for the tips
    --
    I noticed the cutouts on the top of the frame, wondered why, didn't realize it was for the motor mounts..thats easy with a cut-off wheel...
    --
    Really like the reference with the shock mounts, was wondering what I would use...was thinking maby the motor mounts, because the engine is in the truck, but your idea is better...
    --
    A little disslexic typing..12.5 wide...
    --
    I was thinking I would leave the 2" body lift in, until I get it sorted, and can afford new wheels/tires...and maby see if I can use 5 lug hubs,... and then use a 1/2 ton rear
    --
    You are probably aware, but the 3/4-ton f&r axles are wider track than the 1/2-ton...the D44 w/8lugs, is the same width as the D60 w/5.... and the rear 14 bolt floater, are both about 4-6" wider track..
    --
    Reason, the diff and the front end are set up to use duallies...need the wide track to clear inside with lots of backspacing of duallie wheels...
    --
    The 3/4-2wd front end is the same track as the 1/2-t .so fender clearance is not as much as an issue with the 2wd front end...I have used 8.5x16.5 wheels, w/12.5 tires on the front with no lift, but I have 9.75's may hit...
    --
    The whole purpose of this exercise is to use cheaper (and better) wheels and tires...truck wheels and tires are about 35-50% more than an equal car stuff (not as much load), and are about 2 times the weight..
    -
    Figure droping the NP205, 14bolt ,D44, drive shaft and truck wheels and tires, I might loose about 5-800+ lbs...
    --
    Also, I would like to use 10 or 12" rear rims and really wide tires, and you need the narrower track or it looks stupid.
    --
    And lastly, I would like to use 3.08 gears (or taller), and the highest for a 14bolt is 3.42
    --
    So used to seeing it up high..not sure if I will like a LWB sitting lo...
    --
    Will miss the big brakes too/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not really being helpful or anything but is there a reason you guys want and did convert to 2wd?

6. the professor

In my case..
    I have the parts..

tired of the 4x4, time for a change..

gas milage, and unavalability of 'tall gears" for the 14 bolt..(3.42 with NO match for a D44)

can't use a 700r4, the engine would destroy it..

too much work on cab, doors and front clip..too much effort to swap Cab, FE, clip and engine to another truck..

crapy expensive street tires for 16 ro 16.5 8lug wheels

hugly powerful 454, pushing around 6000 lbs, want something lighter..thus making my truck very, very fast instead of just very fast..

--
    1978 K20
    1989 burban front clip (all the details)& doors
    1989 burban bucket seat, console, dash, tilt, comboswitch
    overhead console radio
    2" body
    6" chassis
    1989 454 4bolt crate motor
    eddlebrock manifold, 800 q'jet
    headders
    all ca smog equip, dual cats x-over 2.5 in throuh
    crane cam &springs
    roller rockers
    MSD billet HEI dist
    MSD 6a /remote coil
    TH400 (wide ratio 2.71 first gearset)
    14bolt, corporate, floater...3.73:1
    2200rpm converter
    NP205
    33-12.5x16.5 mud tires
    16.5x9.75 chrome spoke wheels
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

k some good reasons, just wanted to ask