Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A couple of body repair questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Feb 16, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just a quick couple of body repair questions:

1) Has anyone used LMC's "Wheel arch repair panel" on the rear of their truck? Mine are rusting out and I plan on buying them (or a similar item from a different vendor) and want to hear about their fitment and how high they go. Also, do they have the lip formed in them for attaching the chrome molding, etc?

2) Has anyone found a source for rear inner-fenders? Both sides have rusted through at the seam towards the top. I pop-riveted in panels last summer, but now I've got a welder and would like to just replace the inner fenders. I haven't found them anywhere, though. I'd like to just buy some preformed stuff if it's out there, and as a last resort, bend up some of my own.

3) My tail-pan support is rotted out. Who has replaced theirs, and with who's tailpan? LMC's is $119.

4) How do you go about replacing rockers? I'm going to replace mine (again, looking for suggestions for manufacturers) on my burb with the full-length rockers I think. But, I'm not sure how to get the old ones out. Just start cutting and then take the air chisel up to all the spot welds? Any amount of instruction would be helpful.

Thanks.

Yippee, looks like I can kiss my tax-return goodbye. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

to replace the rockers I would recommend pulling the front fenders and haveing the rear peeled back or off, helps but is not 100% needed, there are spot welds to deal with but a air hammer can solve that issue "30 bucks"

other than that they are very cut and dry, any body with the right tools and a mig can do it.

as for the rear, I recommend doing the whole panel, it will look more uniform and lines will turn out better, the real question is weather you want to use an oem panel "750.00 +" or an aftermarket cheapey "about 180.00 to 200.00" but they have thinner gage metal on them. either choice though you will want to recoat the inside of them for better rust protection as alot of companies dont coat the insides of rear fenders. I discovered that when I cut my 1 year old fenders up /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

as for the inner rear fenders, I would go oem for thickness or simply have some one get you some from down here, I see them all day long rust free /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Then take into consideration that I spent over 3000.00 on new metal for the 75, I could have bought a rust free tub for 500.00 in tucson /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

a new tub may be worth it and gves you plent of time to do it right before you ever have any down time on what you are driving /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

just my .2

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I think the only way you can get the inner panels is with a complete 1/4 panel. not just the skins. I have used some of the LMC panels, I am not impressed. They are the same cheap crap i can get at my local body supply shop.

Replacing rocers isn't hard. It would be easier with the fenders off, But i have done them with fendr on. Just remember, The rust replacement panels are overlays!! and don't fit very well.

4. pineyjon

pineyjon Registered Member

i replaced the tailpan on my 81 k5 with one from JC Whitney. it fit pretty good and pretty much bolted up

5. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

What's the contact info(website, etc.) for oem?

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer - (ie, stuff from a GM dealer)

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Really?!?! I'll have to check out my JC Whitney catalog. Do you recall how much it was?

And, I wasn't aware it was a "bolt-in" operation. You sure it isn't welded in? I mean, don't you have to cut out the back section of the floor? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer - (ie, stuff from a GM dealer)

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel so smart /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif