Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A couple of cold morning ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, Nov 26, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

A couple of cold morning ?\'s

1. Oil Pressure is over 60 until WAY after engine has reached normal operating temp. Is this normal?

2. From dead stop, /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif almost dies upon acceleration. If more gas pedal is given, i.e. WOT, it has/does die. Where shoule I start with this? Fuel Pump? Distributor? Carb?

Truck specs, '85 K5 - stock 350. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor about 4 months ago. Don't know when/if fuel pump has ever been changed.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Re: A couple of cold morning ?\'s

My oil pressure runs pretty high when cold. Close to 60 PSI, don't know how much I trust the stock gauge though. As for the hesitation/stall, it is more than likely carb/choke related. I was having this problem for a while, but after a carb swap, all is better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

2. From dead stop, /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif almost dies upon acceleration. If more gas pedal is given, i.e. WOT, it has/does die. Where shoule I start with this? Fuel Pump? Distributor? Carb?

[/ QUOTE ]

mine does somethimg similar
    it hesitates, something goes "click/bang" then it is good to go

4. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    My oil pressure runs pretty high when cold. Close to 60 PSI, don't know how much I trust the stock gauge though. As for the hesitation/stall, it is more than likely carb/choke related. I was having this problem for a while, but after a carb swap, all is better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

[/ QUOTE ]

I was considering swapping my carb, but don't know which I should go to...or which would work. I am told that mine is computer controlled...

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Not sure, but have heard that Cali trucks have an ECM. I just swapped in a larger CFM rebuilt Q-Jet. As far as taking your rig offroad, that is the "only" carb to go with.

John

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

where in cal?
    down south it's not that bad, my choke has been hooking up the last week or so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

How cold, -30 degs ?

8. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    How cold, -30 degs ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't PAY me to be somewhere that is -30 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...no here it gets about freezing or just below.

I am Just south of Fresno, in the foothills...

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

alot of us live in and are stuck living where it gets relaly super cold in winter and such for a long time, several months /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

sounds like either your choke pulloff is not working or choke is not properly adjusted, check that it is shut at cold and opens up when you romp on it when you are warming up the truck

oil pressure guages always seem to read that high when engine is cold, is just what they tend to do, i have had a billion chevies do that when cold- read high on pressure,. its common thing, as long asit is not reading zero then i wouldnt worry any

10. BlazerWheels

I did not mean to imply anything against people who live in the cold, just that I would not do it...

Thanks for the input, I will check the choke tomorrow since we are not going to be busy for Thanksgiving.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

How long do you let it woam up in the morning? Does the problem continue throughout the day? Could be as simple as its just not warmed up enough to disengage the choke. Mine does the same thing if I just hop in and go, but usually I go start it up and let it run while I go get my coffee and say bye to the wife in kids. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. BlazerWheels

I thought about that, tried letting it warm up for a while and it still happened. I will try letting it warm up longer.

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

It's normal for oil pressure to read high in the mornings when you start up your cold engine. Remember the oil is going to thicker when its cold so the pressure gauge is going to read high until the oil reaches operating temperature.

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Make sure that your thermatic air cleaner valve is operating properly. When the carb gets too much cold air right at startup the carb can freeze up and choke out. The vacuum-operated valve allows the engine to use warm air by way of a aluminum flexhose located on the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold that's connected to the neck of the air cleaner housing. Once the engine reaches a set temperature the valve opens and allows outside air into the combustion chamber.

If your truck is still equipped with the thermatic setup, make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up. To test to see if the sensor is working properly, use a hairdryer and heat up the sensor on the side of the bottom half of the aircleaner housing. If it's working properly the door should open after about 20 seconds or so.

15. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure that your thermatic air cleaner valve is operating properly. When the carb gets too much cold air right at startup the carb can freeze up and choke out. The vacuum-operated valve allows the engine to use warm air by way of a aluminum flexhose located on the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold that's connected to the neck of the air cleaner housing. Once the engine reaches a set temperature the valve opens and allows outside air into the combustion chamber.

If your truck is still equipped with the thermatic setup, make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up. To test to see if the sensor is working properly, use a hairdryer and heat up the sensor on the side of the bottom half of the aircleaner housing. If it's working properly the door should open after about 20 seconds or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you kit it on the head. Went out and checked this morning, This valve doesn't want to move...It is stuck open. Took it apart and the diaphram in the vacuum is ok. Where should the vacuum lines hook up to? THey were hooked up to the underneath of the aircleaner...I am going back out hook it back up, start the engine and see if the vacuum pulols it closed. Where do I go from here??? HELP?!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

16. BlazerWheels

OK, here is what I have so far...Hooked it all back up, all Vacuum lines are hooked, started truck and no movement. Pulled the vacuum line that runs to the diaphram and NO VACUUM. If I pull the piece off of the Air cleaner it CAN be sucked up(tried it), but it is not. I have a feeling that CANMORE is right about this being the problem, but what do I do to fix it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks in advance.

Jason

17. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if you can get open element air cleaner and block off the extra vaccuum ports that went to the air cleaner.much more simplified setup.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you can get open element air cleaner and block off the extra vaccuum ports that went to the air cleaner.much more simplified setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not smog legal out here in CA, plus it will still run crappy when the engine is cold............................

19. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

...............And even crappier in the middle of summer when the motor is forced to suck in hot engine bay air. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

20. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i have open element
    is it that bad?