Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A couple of fabrication ideas. Anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay the first idea I am pretty sure will work, has anyone made inside quarter trim out of plywood? I am just looking for something to give me a place to mount speakers and my Hi-lift. I thought if I was to take a couple of pieces of 1/2 inch plywood and trim them to the shape of the original trim run some screw back through and call it good.

The second idea is a little more questionable. I am a not so sure about. I had a crazy idea to build my own nerf bars. I figure if I can buy a several section of straight pipe and a some 90 degree bends and some flat metal weld to gether boom got nerf bars. The real question is, could I mount and air hose connector to them and use them as onboard air tanks? I know I will need thick wall pipe and to mount the air fitting on the top so I don't rake it off on a rock. But would it work or am I working on blowing myself up.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the plywood would be fine if you put upholstry on it.

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I would shy away from the air tank idea unless you are a certified welder or can find someone who is that can weld it for you. The welds need to be air tight and very strong for it to work. Maybe make it all from one peice and only have caps welded on the ends? The less joints the better.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

MY girlfriends dad was telling me that he had bumpers with air in them for airing up his tires... guess it can work if ya try hard enuf.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wouldn't do the air tank thing, 4x4 iron says their bumpers shouldn't be used as airtanks and nerfbars aren't as prone to hits as bumpers but they can still take a few.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've always used my bumpers for air. I set them up leaky so that the air bleeds away after a few hours but the York can pump them right up for tires and air tools. 100 pounds really isnt that much pressure.

A lot of things that manufacturers tell you is so that they are not liable.

7. fauxshox

fauxshox Registered Member

Problem with air is that there is a certain amount of water in the air and eventually it will rust out from the inside out. If you like I can bend some up for you out of 1 1/2 sch 40 pipe and all you have to do is cap off the ends. I would think a better place to store air would be in the bumper though.

Richard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Why would you put air in the bumpers if you have a York?? I'm no certified welder by any means but from the discussions on this board, I've gathered that the big thing with air bumpers is that they should be round(just every air tank you've seen in your life) so the air pressure is distributed equally. About the plywood panels, many people have done them. Some use MDF(medium density fiberboard) instead of plywood since it's cheaper and better if you're going to mount speakers in them, but it's not as strong as plywood. I would try to use 3/4" so it'll hold the Hi-Lift better. Also you should seal the wood somehow to keep it from warping or rotting. Some people use a rollon/sprayon bedliner such as Herculiner, Durabak, or Duplicolor and some people use fiberglass resin, whatever you do, don't just cover it with carpet.