Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A couple of questions about U-bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, a couple questions on U-bolts.

#1 - I couldn't find Grade 8 nylock nuts, would regular nuts with high strength loctite be a good alternative or should I keep looking for nylock ones?

#2 - I had some U-bolts made for the 14 bolt, but the guy bent them a little on the big side. There is a little bit of play when I put them on the axle, they aren't a real snug fit. When I bottom them out (just holding them there, no tension on them) they are about 1/4" too wide. Is that going to be a problem? If so I'm going to have to shell out another $50 for another set. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

#3 - I can't find grade 8 studs to use on the D60 passenger side perch. I know that Superlift makes a set, but they aren't long enough to use with the 0 rates. I'm thinking of using bolts with a set of spherical washers. For those that don't know about these, it's a set of two washers, each has one flat side and one side that's convex or concave so they equalize the load on the head of the bolt. This should make up for the difference of angle on the spring plate compared to the perch. Anybody see any problems with this? Should I keep looking for studs?</font color>

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

#1 - Everyone runs just normal grade 8 nuts on u-bolts. But there taller than normal nuts so they have more thread contact area for more torque holding power. You can use lock nuts I guess if you want.

#2 - The 1/4" may not be a problem holding the axle but the spring plates aren't really made for this extra 1/8" on each side and you may have problems getting the u-bolts through the holes.

#3 - I would think grade 8 bolts would work fine for this. But thats just me...

Now why aren't you answering my messages on icq???

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All studs are grade 8. Why not just order the U-bolts you need from 4WPW, when I purchased mine they had them in stock and they were the correct size.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I am running 9/16" U-bolts (yours are probably 5/8 stock) and stock nuts on them and i have no problems. Once a month or so (or before wheeling trips) i re-torque all my nuts and bolts in the suspension, so i don't think it is a big deal. Driving my Junk around, i haven't lost the rear end yet /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, let me rephrase. I can't find ANY studs that are the right size. I thought that I came up with some today but they weren't long enough.

As for the u-bolts, I know that I could have gotten them from 4WPW, but I refuse to give them any business. I've been screwed by them before and I won't let it happen again. I realize that u-bolts are pretty simple, but a man has to have his principles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll keep looking for studs and won't worry about the nuts.

On an unrelated note, I found the perfect rubber hoses to use for the 14 bolt disc conversion, I'll make another post about them and add the part number to the disc brake thread. </font color>

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I just went to 4WP today in Oakland looking for D60 Ubolts. They didn't have them, I know they have them but they wouldn't sell them separate from the lift kit! They also wouldn't give me Ubolts for a 14b unless I bought the whole block kit. I'm just going to have them made.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

have you given Stephan a call? If ORD makes the zero rates, i figure Dr. Watson will know what studs to use with it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Evan, if you can get a number or link to ARP (yeah, the nut &amp; bolt place), they should gladly help you with whatever specs and dimensions of studs you need.

ARP would be the best bet since their studs and bolts have higher ratings for strength. Just tell them what you are looking for and chances are, they may have exactly what you need or can make it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Geez, I don't even want to think about how much a custom ARP stud would cost... I looked through their website and didn't have any luck. I may try to call Stephen tomorrow. </font color>

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just posted this info on another post that Rod made. I bought my D60 U-bolts from ORD. They are part #GU37051. They sent me 3 U-bolts and the 2 bolts for the passenger side. My spring pack is about 2" thick and I think that most spring packs are close to that. Just tell Steve how thick your spring pack is and he will know what to send you.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. I would have ordered them from Stephen but I thought it would be easier to just get them made locally. I was very wrong... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>