Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A couple of questions on D60 crossover/highsteer arms...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I am currently looking for some crossover highsteer arms for my Dana 60 and the question I have is a lot fo the arms have a big hole in them for the spring to pass though but have no "cup" on the top. What holds the spring/grease etc in? Does this make any sense? I realize that you get longer studs but I am still wondering what goes on the top of that arm, because if you just bolted the arm on, the spring wolud just go right through. On the stock steering arm it has the upside down "cup" molded into it. Can anyone help me out? Also where is a good place to look for crossover/highsteer arms? Can you give me a couple of different sites? What do you guys run and do you like them etc. Thanks Sorry about it being so long. Later

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I am going to add to this topic with a question too. Why run a double arm setup?

TO answer his question. The design normally has a puck that inserts to take up the gap of the new steering arm. The original spring cap installs on top. The puck has a hole for the grease to pass thru it. Occasionally I see a ring of tubing instead of the puck. That upside down cup is to keep the spring in proper compression for proper wear on the kinpin parts. Now since Butch made his great discovery on the preload and spring tension it seems that we need a puck that is less than 1/4" thicker.

Go to:
    link
    link2

3. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I am still a little lost, because you said that you install the original spring cap on top but there is only one spring cap on the drivers side. On the passenger side the cap is molded into the steering arm. Do I buy another drivers side cap? Thanks for your help. Later

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You can come up with another cap or you can just put the old steering arm back on. that is what I did. I cut the arm part off with a sawsall.

5. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Ok cool, I will just go torch it off. I was thinking that is probably what I was going to have to do but I was'nt sure. Thanks for the help. Also does anyone have any sites that I could go look at these arms? I just wanna look at my options. I know of the avalanche eng. ones but my friend bent a set, and they would not offer him any sort of replacement ones or even a price brake. So let me know. Thanks again

6. Sandman

I got mine from a place called Jarvis Knifeworks. He is a member here and cost of both arms together was like $145.

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Mines got the bolts on the caps, both sides. Hmmm? Wonder what the deal is there?

8. Sandman

Heres the link to that page:

A page Link

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif