Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A couple questions(cat cnvrt, suspension)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwank, Oct 21, 2002.

1. schwank

schwank Registered Member

Got a 91 Scottsdale... just got back from a great trip down to Central Oregon for some rock climbing and too many beers.

Anyway, a couple non-fatal issues arose during the trip...

1) My 1 year old catalytic converter is coming apart... makes a horrible metallic rattle that makes the 3" Flowmaster exhaust sound downright horrible. Doesn't appear to be the welding, sound is coming from the body of the converter itself. So if I gotta replace this thing again, can someone clue me in as to what brands are actually quality, and will give me the most unrestricted exhaust flow. I was right on the DEQ limit when getting tags, so next year, when I have to do it again, I would like to pass still /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2) Next up, suspension and steering. The shocks on this baby are getting pretty shot, she rides nice, but not tight in handling at all. So I am gonna replace the whole deal at once, ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, steering stabilizer. So here is the ?: I drive mostly on the road, getting from town to Mt. Hood(primary use - ski vehicle!)... will RS5000's fill the bill for me? From my knowledge, they seem to be a step above the average road shock, but will they be too stiff for the road miles? Enlighten me....

3) Bushings... the leaf spring bushings are pretty freakin shot... lots of cracks etc. So what's a good policy to follow when approaching replacing these sorts of things. The truck is 12 years old now, and I would like to keep it nice and rattle free. Best to replace all the bushings together, or replace the leaf spring bushings and then move on to other stuff, what?

thanks a ton. This forum and a chilton's manual is all a k5'er could ask for /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

e

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Cat converter, I've heard good things about "random technologies" stuff, but nothing first hand.

Bushings, well, I'm anti poly for most everything but body mounts, but thats me. If you want squeaks and groans etc kept to a minimum, doubt poly is a good bet unless you wanna grease them regularly. I don't.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I agree with Dorian, and as far as shocks go, it depends on your budget but I went with 9000's I can go 5 for on road handling and all the way to 1 if I want no restriction.
    5000 are good for on road.