Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a couple questions for CUCV guys

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, May 20, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've wanted a CUCV for a loonnnnng time, but won't have the budget (or permission from wife) for awhile.
    But I am curious about the differences between them and regular production trucks.

Is it exempt from emissions tests, or does it have to follow it's production counterpart's standards? Maybe modified emissions?
    What do you have to do to register it? Is it street legal as is?
    Just wonderin, in case I ever do get one...

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

2. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

I don't own one, but work on them in the Air Force. All Diesels as far as I'm aware, are exempt from emissions. The main differences I've noticed compared to regular K5's are beefed up drivetrains, diesel engines with dual batteries and alternators, tow rings on front and rear, brush guards, black-out lighting, and ugly olive drab carc paint. They also lack the comforts of carpeting and plush upolstery. oh, almost forgot... the Blazer versions sometimes still have radio antenna bracketing (and rarely antennas still) mounted on the rear body panels. Hope this helps. - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew
    http://community.webshots.com/user/beefcake83

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The M1009s (blazers) have the same 10 bolt front and rears and np208 t-cases as the civilian models. The only drivetrain diff is that they came with th400s insted of 700r4s.

[​IMG]

chevy4x4

4. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

NewYorkin, permission from the wife? Are you really PW, or just broke like me? The diesel engines are nice, given the price of gas, but the COPS don,t like the camo paint jobs to much. They think your up to something. GOPHERKILLER

5. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

where might you find a "cucv"

[​IMG]

6. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Having had every nut and bolt out of my 85 M1009 I can say the only differences I have found beside the drivetrain that has already been mentioned, is a combination of a 12 and 24 volt electrical system, frame stiffiners in the frame horns to except the bumpers and lifting eyes, factory dual exhaust hangers and not much else. The emissions are non existent due to the diesel engine. I bought mine due to the lack of rust and the cheap price tag. I would have painted mine back camo but the yellow enamel was much cheaper.

<font color=yellow>Steve Frisbie</font color=yellow>

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

All 6.2 Chevys came with dual exhaust. They are subject to emmisions testing, depending on where you live. The only emissions control devices are EGR valves on the lighter duty motors. Diesel emmisions tests are generally opacity (smoke density) tests on a dyno.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's it?!? I thought they were built different (beefier, factory lift, heavy-duty susp., etc.), but I guess not.
    So how come these things go for 3 or 4 grand more than a civilian Blazer/pickup?? Every intact one I've ever seen for sale is around $8000!

BTW, Gopherkiller, I guess half PW, half broke would be about right...

Also, fatboyblazer, from what I get, you can only get one through DRMS <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.drms.com/newsales/html/drms_property.html>http://www.drms.com/newsales/html/drms_property.html</A>. Anybody got a cheaper resource? I think I still want one, someday...

Thanks for the responses!

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

9. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I found mine less the motor and transmission for $1000.00. I've seen complete ones that were running only go for around $3000.00.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Where?!?! Share the wealth!!!

Ratch

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm prety sure that these trucks are emissions exempt, not because they are diesel, but because of their intended use as prduced by GM. I believe i have seen the "federally exempt" emissions stickers on the core supports of these before, so with a decent state emissions employee, they should recognize that the truck is emissions exempt as produced. FWIW, in my state, diesel have to be emissions tested. I do believe though, that the CUCV's are federally exempt from emissions, unlike civilian ones, even civilian diesels.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

12. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Search the internet for surplus military vehicles. I believe at one time Boyce was selling complete 1009's. I found mine at a surplus sales store that has now went out of business.Mine had the federal emissions exemption sticker on the core support.

13. MUD_SPEC

MUD_SPEC Registered Member

There is a write-up about buying surplus military vehicles in this months Fourwheeler.