Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A couple questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, Aug 22, 2005.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

#1-What year 14 bolts would be a direct bolt in to an 82 k5 if any? I will probably keep stock springs, will the half ton ones work or should I use the heavier ones off the original truck?

#2-My truck smokes blue out of one side (dual exhaust) almost all the time and the other side only on start up. Would that most likely be rings, valves, or what?

Thanks a lot, I'll probably end up taking the motor out and freshening it up while I put in a new axle. Is there somewhere I can look for what to replace while the motor is disassembled?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

14 bolt from any 3/4 ton will fit right in

not 1 ton

this goes for all 73-up k5s and trucks and burbs

smoke all the time might be rings yes btu it can also be toasted valve stem seals maybe

when you yank the PVC valve out of the valve cover is there smokey gassy air being pushed out of the hole with some pressure ?(put end of an index card overt he holew see if it lifts it up pushing gases out of the engine)

if it does then im afraid probably rings are leaking past/worn

but it is hard to say without seeing hearing

make sure your pvc system is all connected and correctly

needs to have filtered return(pass side valve cover) and pvc valve in driver side cover and conected directly to intake or to carb base assembly

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

3/4 ton 14 bolt is a SF. Get the SRW 14bff and have someone weld on new spring perches. Stronger better axle and the spring perches should be the only change.

4. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

So can I use my stock 1/2 springs or can will they have trouble controlling the heavy 14 bolt?

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I thought some 3/4 tons had 14ff....... my K20 has the 14 bolt that has hubs that stick out with bolts on them, is that not a ff?

6. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

My 14bff is from a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck and the shocks and spring perches line up perfectly.

7. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

most all older 3/4 ton pick up trucks had 14 ff. SF came in vans and late model 6lug 2500 trucks i believe. pull of hub cap and look for eight bolts holding axle flange to hub/drum
    all 3/4 ton ff will bolt in, 1 ton requires perch relocate

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yes, you can reuse the stock 1/2 ton springs, I DID, and mine is a 14BFF from a '76 2wd chassis cab truck. :waytogo:

you WILL however, have to get a different U-joint, it's a conversion joint to go from the 1/2 ton driveshaft, to the 3/4 ton flange on the diff. Napa has them for like $45 or so. I do not know right off the exact part number, been awhile since i have changed it. It DID have a unit from Autozone at first, but fried that one in like 6 months, try to stay away.

9. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

Will my brake booster and master cylinder be big enough for the bigger brakes?

10. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

should be fine, i have done a few 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axle swaps and if the booster/MC are in good condition then they have worked great with the new setup

11. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

keep in mind the 14ff is an 8 lug axle, so if you don't change the front axle (or convert it to 8 bolt pattern) you will need two spares

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Mine worked, but they tended to want to lock up the rear brakes first, i always thought it had something to do with the larger brake shoe surface area as compared to the stock little 11x2.5 or so brake shoes, mine on the 14bff with drums were the large 13x3.5 shoes.

Didn't like it too much when wheelin, as i said they wanted to lock up on me, now i have disks, and love them.

But to get you rollin, yes, it will work. I recommend going to an empty parking lot or side street, and testing the braking power after the install, so you can see for yourself if there is a drastic change, rather than finding out as a suprise when you have to stop due to traffic conditions.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What year did they go to the 14bsf?