Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A couple ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vdubbin86, Oct 12, 2002.

1. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

A couple ?\'s

I just picked up an 80 k1500 from my brother in law. Traded my 84 S10 with a grenaded engine for it. I also already have an 81 K5 with a 4" lift but the body is shot.

What I need to know is will all the drivetrain and suspension parts interchange between the two? Mainly the diffs, springs and steering components. I plan on tearing down the K5 and using whatever parts are better on the truck and keeping the rest for spares.

The front clip from the blazer is in reasonable shape and has the nicer grill. Would this bolt onto the truck and line up with the body lines?

I was also toying with the idea of putting a 88 and up body onto it if I could find one cheap enough. Is this feasable? Does anyone know any sites where people have done it?

Here is the truck I got: (This pic was taken yesterday. Brrrr)

[​IMG]

And this is what I traded for it: (Looks different from that pic though. Had roll bars, bush bars, nerf bars and sitting on 31's)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: A couple ?\'s

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What I need to know is will all the drivetrain and suspension parts interchange between the two?

[/ QUOTE ]
    the axles will interchange i think the springs are different lengths though but someone will know that for sure /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    The front clip from the blazer is in reasonable shape and has the nicer grill. Would this bolt onto the truck and line up with the body lines?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes they will fit right on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I was also toying with the idea of putting a 88 and up body onto it if I could find one cheap enough. Is this feasable?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes it will fit /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. vdubbin86

I hope the front springs are the same cause I want to put the lift from the blazer in the truck. Anyone else know for sure?
    I'd hate to get everything apart and find out it won't fit.

And about the body swap. I wouldn't be lucky enough to have the newer body mounts match up on the old frame, would I? If so I'll be looking for a donor here pretty quick.

And would an ext-cab shortbox body fit? Anybody know the wheelbases of the 88-98 (I believe) trucks?

Thanks

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

As long as there are no 3/4 or 1 ton rear springs involved here, everything is the same between the K5 and K10 on suspension-related items. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

80 will have a 12 bolt rear for sure and a NP205 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Everything but the rear springs will swap.
    To swap the front clip is mostly bolt on. you will need to modify the cowel some to accept the 81 hood hinges and you will need to swap the wiper regulator to get the taller parts needed to clear the 81 cowel peice. Not hard and could be done in a day if you have somebody to help move the clips around.
    It would be pretty easy to mount that 80 Cab on the blazer frame. Get a step side bed and cut it down and have a ultra short wheel base truck. Or you could make a flat bed and cut the rear frame rails off right behind the rear spring mounts and have an awsome woods truck. If I didn't have two kids I would seriously think about doing that myself. you could probably retain the saddle tanks or get a fuel tank and mount it right behind the cab on a flat bed and build a shelf over it.

6. vdubbin86

Thanks for the info guys.

The Truck has a 10 bolt rear actually, but there is a 12 bolt in the blazer. The truck is also a standard with the 205tcase. I want to switch it to an auto out of the blazer but it has the 350/208 combo.

I would love to use the parts from the truck to fix the blazer (I have 3 kids) but I'm afraid that the body is too far gone to repair. I'm not planning on scrapping it yet that is why I'm exploring all my options before I do anything I will regret.

One of the options I am looking into is going frankenstein on the thing and making it a trail only rig. (Haven't told the wife that yet. I keep telling her it's my parts truck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Decisions Decisions