Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A deal I can't refuse ?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Oct 25, 2002.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

A deal I can\'t refuse ?!?

Well,
    I drove my K5 to work today for the first time. After work I go to get in the thing and there is a business card under the wiper. I pull the card out from under the wiper and it is from an attorney. On the back it says "interested in selling?" with a number. So I call the number and talk to the guy. I tell him a little about it and he asks again, if I want to sell it. Well, I tell him I did not build it to sell, but anything is for sale for the right price...
    He ask me what that price would be. I tell him, You give me a price and I will tell you if you're even in the ball park. He ask a few more questions and then tells me $12,000 to $14,000 would not be unreasonable. I then tell him to give me his email addy and I will send him a long list of mods I have done to the K5. He then tells me to think about it over the weekend and call him Monday and let him know what I would need for it. I think that is a good price, but I have more than that in it... I do not want to sell it, but if I could get at least $?, then I would sell it....

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: A deal I can\'t refuse ?!?

If he is offering a $3000+ profit over what you invested it sounds like it would barely cover your time into it. Unless you really want something else for the next project.

How long would it take for you to kick yourself for ever letting a dream go? Is this truck your dream? You can always point him in the direction of a few others on this board that are trying to sell very nice trucks (blazinor) or I know of another guy selling a very nice K5 in Oregon...

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

One thing is for certain - you'll never get all you invest just in parts, let alone your labor. Oh, well, that's just the way it is in any specialty auto/truck venture. My K5 has over 17K invested in it over 6 years but is selling for half that.............and I'm OK with that because that's life. I've got one guy that's looked at it twice and called me last night..........might have it sold for my price. Told him the price was non-negotiable. *crossing fingers* /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you get your fair price, you could start over and build another K5 with all the goodies (Dana 60, TPI, Doubler,...ect.) Just a thought.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Good luck on the sale. Hopefully it will go thru. Opportunities always pop up when you least expect it...

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The bad thing is, I already have all that stuff (except for the doubler, that is next on the list if I keep it). I think my wife was ready to divorce me over the amount of time I have spent working on my K5.

7. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

DANG ! Id hate to see your rig go to someone else. Only you will give it the care it deserves, and still use it like it was built. Keep your rig ! Offer to build him one like it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your truck rocks man !!! Its what mine wants to be someday /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tori89 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What does your truck have on it anyways, you have any pics? Everyone seems to be saying it is real nice but there is nothing to see. Just curious

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i know mine will never be for sale at any price.its nice to know that people stil are willing to pay top dolar for a nicely built rig.14,000 he said hed be willing to pay?what kind of money do you already have into this rig?

10. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is some of the major stuff you have done to your truck?

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I really like how there is no info on the user posting this, but other people know his truck. I am curious to see what is worth upto $14,000. Thats a lot of cash for a truck, must be one nice truck.

12. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've seen it in person and its a really nice K5. That would be a hard decision for me if I owned his K5.

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

There are a lot of K5s on COK5 that could wheel over mine. It is not a full blown offroader like some, but it is a very capable rig and I can drive it to any trail I wanted.

Well, here are some of the mods off the top of my head
    Lift:
    Front - 5.5 " BDS springs up front
    Back -4" ORD Shackle Flip, 1" alxe relocating block, 4" BDS

Front Drivetrain:
    Rebuilt Dana 60 with 4.56 and a Powrloc diff, Ford Shock Mounts, Ranch 9012s, 26" SS brake lines, 1350 yoke, HighAngleDriveline driveshaft with 1350 CV, WTO hyrdaulic steering assist with cooler, Warn Premium hubs, Rock Stomper drop drag link and Rock Rod tie rod, ORD cross over steering arm and pitman arm, Avalanche Engineering diff cover. Axle moved forward 1"
    Rebuilt Corp 14 with Detroit, TSM Disc Brakes, Caddy calipers with working emergency brakes, custom shock relocation and Rancho 9012s HighAngleDriveline 1350 CV with 241 SYE, axle moved back 1.5"
    Custom front and rear bumpers, rock sliders and trasfer case protection.
    Ramsey 12,000 lbs winch.
    New four core "heat buster" radiator
    B&M 28,000 gvw tranny cooler

I could keep going, and the list of mods goes on and on. And I still have stuff I want to do to it.

[​IMG]

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Tori,
    I am really leaning towards keeping it...I think you are right. I have my blood in that K5. I built it using the best stuff I could buy and built it to keep. I lost count of the number of hours and weekends I have scraping my knuckles and banging my head on that thing. I am even debating on whether to add up all my reciepts. Do I really want to know how much I have in it?
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    You may have a good idea "Offer to build hime one like it". I kind of like that idea!!
    btw, I really like your K5 it's a great looking rig! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Joel,
    I said the same thing you are "I know mine will never be for sale at any price". That is how I built it, to keep forever. That guy was just testing the waters to see if he could get it for nearly nothing. I am NOT going to sell it for $14,000. If he really wants it, he will have to fork over some real $$$.

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I know what you mean since I had an offer for my '85 K30 at one time for $9000 and I refused it. It took me 3 years to find the K30 in the Silverado trim. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Not gonna pass it up just yet.

I like that idea, too, to offer to build a K5 for the attorney. This way he can go out and buy the Blazer/Jimmy of his choice and then turn you loose on the modifications. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh yes ive seen that truck in pics..looks liek a very sweet blazer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I took that pic and can only say up close this truck is perfect it is definetly worth more than 14K I would never sell it if it was mine. But I would try the building one for him option it is always fun spending other peoples money not too mention getting to build another truck that isn't gonna take up space at your place.

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

WOW, that purty nice /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Now I know what all the hub bub was /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Tell the guy trucks are built not bought! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

like everyone elso said id try and see if he wants help building his own rig.for that kind of money you could really build him a great rig if he was willing to give you the money to help him out.of course once you have built anether rig could you just let it go after all the time you put into building anether one.you have a real nice truck.someday mine might be that nice.i only have about 4 thou in mine but it does not really look like it.i have a pile of parts in my basement waiting to go on when i have all the parts i need to put it all together.