Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A different 56 spring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Oct 29, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have a set of 56s in my garage that have been worked pretty good. Question I have is can I take the main leaf of the 56 and swap it with the stock 4" lift spring main leaf that I have in my rig and make a custom 56/48 hybrid or is this just a stupid idea. I have the springs and I am curious if I could do that or do I need to get another not so worked set of 56s and put an all 56 pack in?

Thanks

Ira

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I guess I should clarify that this is for the front springs. I already run 56s in the rear:D

Thanks

Ira

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Som random observations:

Note that the 56" packs are offset, so it means axle movement or other weirdness.

You gonna move hangers, or just try and bend the dang thing to fit into the existing slot? :doah:

My experience with the 52" / 56" springs is that they do not offer much in the way of lift, so much as crazy flex. I ended up moving my front springs' forward hangers down something fierce to get the thing to level out.

Seems to me like the smaller auxiliary leaves would wear differently on the main leaf and not support it as much, so it would bend faster.

-- A

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The main reasoning for me to go 56s is to move the axle forward. If it is low I can also add a zerorate as I want the axle as far forward as I can get and not contact my pitman arm:D. The wear issue was my main worry as the main leaf would be narrower than the rest of the leaves. I currently have 4" lift springs and those would be what I was combining with the 56 pack so I do not feel actual lift would be an issue mainly the wear on the spring and subsequent main failure which I do not want to do:doah:.

Any idea on that? I prolly ought to just go to the junkyard and pull a set and put bushings in em and be done.

EDIT: I will be moving front hangers rather than arch the spring to fit :). I want 56s so I do not have to move the rear hanger.

Ira

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i have done something similar with a stock 47" 4" front lift spring and take a pack of 52s and put under it. Mainly cause the 4" springs were fubarred but but putting the rest of the pack under it and just using the old top leaf it worked again and rides and flexs decent

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So could I take my 4" front and put it underneath my 56 main leaf or is the length difference too great? It is almost 10" different. Guess I should just get another full set of 56s that are beat to ****.

Ira

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i did exaclty the opposite. Basically used an old 47 top leaf and put a pack from under a 52 set under the 47 so it still fit in the stock config