Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Different Lift Kit Question (from a rookie)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Sep 26, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Okay, bare with me and think deep... Say I have a 3" body lift only, and would much rather have a suspension lift instead. Now also imagine that a buddy has a 4" suspension lift and wants to upgrade to a 6" one. Now here's where the plot thickens... could it be possible for me to take his no-longer wanted 4" lift and install it on mine, after replacing... say just some bushings and such? Keep in mind time are tight, and the pockets are shallow at the present time (too many plane tickets purchased recently to 'the lower 48'). Would it still be a decent lift after the swap? This would be the only way in the near future to do the lift thing... especially since in a month or so I'm getting dual exhaust work done (grin) - Thanks, G

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

you've just stumbled onto one of the best ways to buy a lift kit. i personally do not like bodie lifts because they cause to much stress on the bodie and steering shafts.I say scrap the body lift put new bushings in the susp. lift and bolt it on.just make sure that the springs and such aren't worn out from over the years or whatever. I would however plan on buying new bolts to hold springs and blocks. these are torqued down at the factory and if you've never replaced them it might be a good idea anyway if your going up in the world!!!!

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

3. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear I wasn't think MAD or anything... wouldn't want a suspension lift kit to go to scrap. Yeah body lifts tend to let the body lean and such, this plus the fact that it creates a ugly gap between the cab and frame... that justs says, "Hello, my owner took the cheap way out". Had I originally modified the rig, I would have went the suspension way from the get go. Thanks for the encouragement - G

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

experiance the power of the darkside...i mean used parts.
    remember steel lasts for a very long time. the 78 i just bought recently, had the original springs and they havent sagged yet. even though i think it has been pampered, 22 years is a long time. as long as you change the bushings and they are in decent shape no problems. and i agree with the above, ditch the body lift.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I second the notion, nothing wrong with picking up your friend's 4" lift. What size tire do you plan on running? I've got a 4" lift with 33's, and I do plan on installing a 1" body lift in the future, I would NEVER go past the 1" though. My mounts are shot so I figure I'll add the body lift just to get a little bit more lift while I replace the mounts. Might as well.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I agree with the 4" lift. It is always a good idea as long as it is in good shape. I am thinking of replacing my 6" I just bought in november with an 8" my friend is taking off his truck. He wants 10" superlift springs. I dont know just yet but I am considering it. If it was me I would go for it.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?