Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A different steering problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Jul 9, 2002.

Heres the situation. My steering wheel has alot of play in it as if it was loose, but its not. I have had the steering wheel off to replace the turn signal cam, but it on there tight. I have tilt steering if that helps. Its like the shaft inside of the column is loose. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    BTW- this is on my 90 Suburban

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

the tilt wheels do get loose often . there are 3 or 4 torx head bolts in the column below all the turn signal crap and all what ya need to do is carefully take them out and clean em really good and then put a good bit of red loctite on em and tighten them tight as ya can with busting or strippin anything .

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Hope it didn't do what mine did. Mine tore all the metal around the three bolts so its permanently loose, and a new column from the dealership is $600 /forums/images/icons/frown.gif It won't fall off, if that's what your worried about. Its just the tilt that's come loose, the steering shaft itself is okay.

3. How do you take all that turn signal stuff out? I couldnt figure out how to remove the turn signal stalk. I have a factory service manual,but it didnt really show how.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

At the same time, make sure there is no play in your drag link, steering box, pitman arm, steering arm, or tie rod.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Loose as in you can pick the wheel up or push it side to side, or loose as in with the vehicle off, you can turn the steering wheel quite aways before the tires start to move?

6. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

also check the rag joint where the steering shaft connects to the steering box... that will cause a lot of play too

7. Loose as in you can move it up and down or side to side, but when the steering wheel is locked when the truck is off, you cant turn the wheel.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

red loctite is not the answer to anything on a truck or car.
    if you must loctite it use a 'heat not required' type.
    IIRC red is 'must be heated to remove'

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

thats in the tilt mechanism then. Heres the link to a write up I grabbed from someone: http://www.dorianyeager.com/column.html

Don't think its the best one out there, but it should work fine.