Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A different sub idea...with pic!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by laketex, Mar 24, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Tell me if i'm crazy. The problem with my truck is that I want the area in front of the wheelwells to stay clear for a cage going in and rolling the seat forward. I'm having a toolbox fabbed up for me anyway, so I thought about incorporating the speakers like this. Toolbox will go behind rear seat and roll forward on tracks when seat is rolled forward to haul stuff. The other consideration is that this is a soft top/no top truck depending on season. Will I even hear a sub that's so far back? Should I keep the toolbox a toolbox and go for the console idea? Has Greg ever tested his metal sub box theory???

Bryan

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/9137/83speaker_box2.bmp

2. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Not a bad idea, I thought about that for awhile before I built mine...the main prob I have is I dont want to take that much space up since the back ends are only so big to begin with and I use ALL my space when camping/boating. I ended up building the box into the rear fender so it only takes up a few inches of usefull space...about half and half.
    [​IMG]
    As for bass in the way back...there is plenty with my pair of 10's and 400 watts. You could build a toolbox roughly the same way on the opposite side...almost did that also.
    For a metal box...it would be tough I think to get it to sound right with the resonance it would create...you would have to use a boat load of dampning and such.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

First off, thanks a ton for the pic. Really makes me think about that area again...Second though, you have a hard top...anyone know if i'd hear ANY bass with the top off or with a soft top?

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

.....drooling over rust free metal and good MDF work....

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Tell me if i'm crazy. The problem with my truck is that I want the area in front of the wheelwells to stay clear for a cage going in and rolling the seat forward. I'm having a toolbox fabbed up for me anyway, so I thought about incorporating the speakers like this. Toolbox will go behind rear seat and roll forward on tracks when seat is rolled forward to haul stuff. The other consideration is that this is a soft top/no top truck depending on season. Will I even hear a sub that's so far back? Should I keep the toolbox a toolbox and go for the console idea? Has Greg ever tested his metal sub box theory???

Bryan

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/9137/83speaker_box2.bmp

[/ QUOTE ]

Bryan,

Well seeing as how my "original" sub enclosures now belong to another CK5 member, I guess I'll have to finally build myself the metal sub-box and answer the question once and for all! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Thanks man! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i took a pieceof plywood and covered up the back of the bed behind the seat when i have my top off...i originally did it so nobody would steal my subs, but turns out they actually sound better with that cover

8. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    What do you say about a sealed box/console ? I'm thinking a sealed box, about .65 cubic feet with a 10 inch sub downfiring, right between the front seats. Leave a few inchs between the sub and the floor. (For my purposes, there is carpet and padding) Mount the amp under the drivers seat. One could leave room for a lockable box in front of the sub. This console could be just a bit larger or even smaller then the factory one, depending on the storage wanted.
    For me, this would be in conjunction with 3.5s in the dash and 6.5 mounted behind the front seat belts on MDF.
    Blake

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

.65 for a sealed 10" seems kinda small, but if that's what your speaker wants it should be possible to fit between the seats.

Definitely keep it a few inches off the floor too.

10. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

in my 75 I had a pair of 12's in a bandpass box with the cover off, with the big block roaring and 3 inch pipes that dumped off right under the box,I could still hear it just fine, you will be fine with the top off..just crank it up /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    First off, thanks a ton for the pic. Really makes me think about that area again...Second though, you have a hard top...anyone know if i'd hear ANY bass with the top off or with a soft top?

[/ QUOTE ]
    My freinds got two 10in type Rs in the back "trunk" part of his jeep...dunno what to call it and when we're out in it with the top off you can hear it just fine, and if not then just get bigger subs or turn up the volume /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    anyone know if i'd hear ANY bass with the top off or with a soft top?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a dual 10" bandpass box in the back of my truck, and I don't have a top on it in the summertime. I can hear and feel the bass, still, and so can the people around me.