Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A dilemma has come upon me.....some advice and suggestions would be great..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by triger, Feb 7, 2003.

1. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

Ok so I am new to the board cause I will be entering the world of the K5...Originally I was to buy a 1990 full size Blazer completely stock, w/ 124,000 miles on it...The body in excellent shape but has rotted rear floor pans...Runs smooth and no problems to know of, and has a light blue interior (very ugly) and the outside is two tone blue and silver, for 2,000.00...Now I come to find out there is another 1990 Blazer for sale in the area and this gentleman wants 1,500.00 for his and basiclly the same issues w/ the floor pans and minor blemishes on the body w/ 150,000 miles on it...It has a 4 in. lift w/ 31's on 10.5 rims...gray interior and a black exterior...it has some other acessories that I can not recall at the moment but I am at loss of thought which one would be more worth getting...

one has 120,000 compared to 150,000
    one has an ugly light blue interior compared to a gray interior (not too much better)
    one is stock and the other already has a 4 in. lift in it (not sure of the lift yet will be looking at truck tomorrow)
    they both have rotted floor pans...

What to do????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    T

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I would go grey interior.
    best colour, and you have already stated the blue grates against you.
    mileage in a 12 yo truck is fairly irrelavent

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'd not buy neither and find one with a good floor seeing this is your first K5...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Steph...he is in New Jersey. He isn't gonna find a rust free truck there for under $7000/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I did...$3K no rust cept for the rockers- everything else was redone..

BUT---I'd bet he didn't pull the carpet up in the front, near the seat brackets...or pull the carpet up in the rear bed to see exactly how bad it is. Check the underneath- how bad is that? Depending on how much skill or money he has- he could buy it and have it fixed up in a jiffy.

Brandy

6. ChevyCaGal

If he is new to K5's he'll be spending a small fortune to have his floors replaced the right way... I was thinking about that... if he can do it himself then different story, he would be ok... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ChevyCaGal

Here check into this.... Might be worth a look if only you have to get the tranny fixed... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

I would buy both of them. Parts are easily exchanged say a tranny would go out or when wheelin you drag a tree down the side. Let me know which one you don't buy cause I will.

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Might be cheaper in the long run to find one in Texas and make the drive...Rust free trucks are the norm here...Prolly get a really good 90 or so for $5k worth the money...I'm thinking most northern trucks have residual salt/corrosives in those hard to reach places, so they will rust more extensively and quicker than a truck that May have Never even Seen snow...of course I haven't a clue what it takes to repair floor pans etc., so $2k plus fixing the floor, changing the Interior, redo tranny would add up to about the same as if ya drove one home from Texas, Ariz, etc....I know there a plenty of people on this board who are More than happy to scope out Trucks to help another CK5er... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i have went and scoped out a couple for people before and would do it again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

First of all, don't buy a truck unless you're sure you want it. There are always more to come on the market or some available a little further away.

Secondly, don't worry about the $500 difference in these two trucks. Just make sure you get one that is sound.

Finally, if you buy anything with 4" lift and 31's, make you sure you have enough money left over to buy AT LEAST some 33's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

buy thr 1500.00 blazer, then spend the 500.00 you save on tires or buy a cheap welder a sawzaw and a repair panel for your floor.

13. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

Welp I have decided to go with the 1500 dollar Blazer. Checked it out saturday and it is in better shape. The paint job is al flaked and peeling usual for the early 90's. The floors are not that bad, will need replacing but not bad. the rest of the floors are solid rusty under the carpet but no holes. Gonna tear the carpet out and sandblast the floor to see what I am left with. If all is good will replace the rears my self. and herculiner the whole floor. The body I will sand and prime and get one of those cheap macco paint jobs for 300 bucks.engine runs sound and also have another engine from a friend that is built with alittle over 400 hp. the suspension will be redone but not soon. Want to do the shackle flip and putting the extended shock mounts in the front. Love to climb [censored] so just a must...Anyway it has leather interior which is gray and and needs a little tlc...carpets will be removed and not put back in, rubber floor mats most likely. Has nerf bars, don't think I will be keeping them though. Has no tow package. That sucks..Will be putting bigger tires on it. And the list will go on.....Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated and always looking for new ideals to do to it when I bring it home...

T