Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A drop in 454 value?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 14, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

When I didn't have 454's, they were going for top dollar.

Theres a complete '78 Chevy 3/4 ton 2wd with a 454 and TH400 in the paper for $750, and no one has bought it yet. It's been in for a week, and no buyers. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

What are engine shops paying for big block cores nowadays?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I don't think its a drop in the motor value but more of the price of gas to feed it.

3. mountainexplorer

Good point. I guess most people view a whole truck that's for sale as a whole truck as a driver; in this case, a truck that sucks gas, verses people like me who sees parts. I think I talked a friend into buying it. We should be able to pick it up for $500 cash.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Damn, thats a sweet deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

depends if it is a 2 or 4 bolt main block. I have seen 4 bolt main blocks go for 750.00 around here.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think your right about people's perception about a standalone engine vs. a beater truck with a 454.

Most people don't want to be bothered to deal with pulling a motor out of a $500 beater, but would gladly pay $1000 for a standalone, complete 454...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

It's either laziness, ignorance or simply a lack of space and time to deal with a temporary "extra" vehicle in the yard.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have plenty of room for unwanted trucks with 454's!!--send em to me--I have time and torches to cut the motors out. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif You cant find a 454 around here for 500--only 1 at the swap meet last week looked like it was pulled out of the ocean--the guy wanted 800 bucks because "it turns over" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    The price of gas doesnt seem to bother too many people here who have big blocks--I guess if they have the dough for a big block,they can afford to feed it.No shortage of Hummers and other large fuel guzzlers too--I must be the only one concerned with fuel mileage-- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

no, big block mileage dont bother me........course it could be cause I get better mileage w/ my 496 than I did with my 350.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

maybe it has something to do with the fact that you can get a running furd 460 + C6 for like $250 these days? lol!

j

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

From what I have seen. Most of the people I know who want Big Blocks either want the early "real" high Nickle blocks or will buy a new block if the are serious about building an engine. the late 70's up 454 blocks are thin and can't handle serious power. These blocks are ok for street use and mild performance. but street trends today have gone away from putting a Big Block in whatever car you could find, and go racing! Most of the stuff that I see today is more of making whatever engine you have, go faster, or drop in an LS engine with trick fuel injection. If/when I build another Big block, I will most likely go with a new 502 block. Buy the time you buy a "junkyard" 454, strip it, clean, flux, and maybe sonic check it. Then remachine it(and make the scary walls thinner) you could have a NEW block for a few 100 more. You can get a NEW 502 block for 1400. New 454 blocks for 900. The truck heads are small ports, and suck for high RPM peformance. So they will get tossed anyways. The only reason I would buy another 454, is to have ALL the brackets and pully's to run one. 'cause, sometimes they are just a Bitch to find!

11. mountainexplorer

Well, my friend got the truck. $400 cash delivered, and the guy is driving it to his house.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm living on the wrong side of the country I guess! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Weak or not--I'd like to have another 454 in my collection--even the smog era ones I had rated at 235 hp would bake the tires in all 3 gears! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif