Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A dumb question about tube bumpers.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Jul 16, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Why is it that most tube bumpers go out and up, instead more straight up, closer to the grill? Is it so theres some "play" so that a rock doesnt push bumper into your rad into your cooling fan?
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Some are just for looks, some are for protection in a roll over, some that you see on hardcore rockcrawlers they prevent the buggy from tipping right over forwards. etc.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Stinger, in line with the approach angle, helps getting up on stuff

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I always thought stingers originally were from pre-runners, who jump their trucks, to keep them from endo'ing. Then the rock crawler crowd started using them for the same purpose. I dont understand how a stinger helps you up an obstacle? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I've wondered this too. I have never seen one on a rig on the trails in SoCal. Yet they are in many pics in FourWheel mag, especially in Colorado.

C'mon, is this a design of function or a regional trend, or am I overlooking the obvious?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well, from where it started (jeep crowd) I have seen it evolve into what it is now. They started as "engine cages" (tube work around radiator ect.) then some hard hits later the engine cages took out what they were protecting. The idea is to make a line from the foward cage bar to the stinger that allows for some room between the ground and radiator/hood if it goes turtle. At least that is how I have seen it become. They get pointier and taller now so if you are rolled upsidedown it tips onto the side with little effort. (usually safer to recover). It will also hopfully knock down any animals that might jump out as compared to the 80's guards that popped animals into the winshield.

just my .02

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It's mostly looks and other things like protecting the radiator and hood. Mine was designed specifically to protect the radiator. Frankly, most designs couldn't hope to stop an "endo". Larger ones make it less likely to barrel roll and stay on the lid, but that's about it. They also use them as leverage for spotter straps and such...