Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A dumb question???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 3, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Can I swap the frame from a regular pick up truck 4wd 1/2 ton into my Blazer, will it bolt on with out any mods.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nope the frame on a truck is too long , Sorry .

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Your question brought up something I've been thinking about for a while. The 1 ton frames are made of thicker metal, so I've heard. Also, I have a friend that made a Ford diesel long bed into a short bed by cutting the proper amount out of the frame. (In doing so making a truck that Ford didn't produce for another 4 yrs) So I'm thinking a 1ton 4x4 frame shorted by 'x' inches would make an excellent K5 frame. (think steering box) I'm sure a few brackets and what not would need removed and/or added but other than that and some high tolerance measuring, can anybody tell me why this would not be feasible???? I'm answering yes you can, to chaka73's question, but am not positive. I don't do much if any rock crawling so a flexible frame is not important to me.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

4. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

My buddy took an 87 crewcab longbed chevy non-dually. Shortened the frame behind the cab and made a crewcab short bed, lowered, I don't know about the alignment of the K5 on an short box truck frame. Do some measuring. Remember measure twice, cut once, you will have to re-enforce the frame and might want to box the area you cut

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Wont work on the 69 to 72 blazer The frame is so defrent that on the blazer the bumpers bolt right to the frame not to brackets. plus the shape is defrent from the rear of the front spring to the front of the rear spring. on the 73 and up I think the rail taper going from front to back on blazers and not on the truck, theres also a change in the blazer frame when the rear set foot well was started.