Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few easy Brake job questions....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just picked up some new rotors, pads, and caliper rebuild kits for my front brakes...My questions is this- What all is involved in rebuilding the calipers? The "kit" is only a couple seals....Is that all it involves? Swapping out seals? Anything I should know? Tips? Warnings? How much beer required? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Second question....My 14b has the 11" drums, I can get a complete ready to run 13" set up w/backing plates for free...(Thx Shaggy!) Can I just unbolt the 11" stuff and bolt on the 13" stuff? I assume it should work, Just don't wanna get this stuff if it won't work. I've got enuff junk layin around....Don't need some heavy ass drums too... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

why not hold on the rear and do disc? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

look at the calipers, you will see two 3/8 allen bolts. take them off. remove caliper

4. Zeus33rd

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    look at the calipers, you will see two 3/8 allen bolts. take them off. remove caliper

[/ QUOTE ]

Well DUH. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I know how to take the calipers off the bracket...I can set up gears, swap engines, do an auto to manual swap...I sure as hell know how to remove calipers...lol.
    What I'm asking is advice/comments on REBUILDING the caliper itself. I.E- The piston and seals inside it.

5. Zeus33rd

why not hold on the rear and do disc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will do the disc stuff....But I can get my brakes workin again free with the drum stuff...Nadda on the rear brakes...I'd be screwed without the 465 to slow myself down....I still have to get the 3/4 ton rotors, calipers and pads. Wanker fart ass. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Start by making sure you can get off the bleeder. If it breaks off go and get a rebuilt (they are only like $12.50...save yourself the hassle). Put a bunch of rags in the caliper and use a bit (just enough...not more) compressed air to pop the pistons out. It helps to have a rubber tip on your blow gun. Clean out the caliper (there may be some rust in there for you to scrape out as well) with brake cleaner or brake fluid. Never use solvent! Lube it all up with brake fluid (they do sell a assembly lube for brakes but I have only seen it once) and put it back together.

Don't forget to use new copper/aluminum washers for the banjo bolt as well as installing new o-rings in the ears of the calipers.

7. Zeus33rd

Thanks Triaged. Thats what I was lookin for.

Don't forget to use new copper/aluminum washers for the banjo bolt as well as installing new o-rings in the ears of the calipers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The copper/aluminum washer part I got....but O-rings in the ears....? What part of the caliper is the "ear"?

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On the inboard side of the caliper where the bolt goes through a sleeve, if you remove the sleeve you will find an O-ring there and also on the outer side of the caliper where the bolt goes into you will also find a smaller O-ring as well. Dont forget to lube the O-rings with a little touch of grease for a smooth sliding caliper.

9. Zeus33rd

Thank you Mr. Scott. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I read "rebuild" as "remove" and got a little concerned /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif