Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few front axle questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 96chevysfa, Nov 4, 2003.

1. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

ok, my first is how much shimming can i do without adverse effects on my steering? also, on the d60 p side spring perch, how many of you use studs instead of bolts to mount your spring?

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Caster angle is the answer I think you are looking for.I cannot answer it for you though.Need to find out myself to check mine to make sure it is ok.I am going to give Jess at high angle drivline a call,need to order new shafts anyways.I will ask him and post for you.Studs are supposed to be stronger than bolts,depends on the Grade..

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have my front D60 shimmed about 6* and don't notice any adverse effects in my steering. And I'm using a mounting kit from Superlift which uses studs for the pass. side perch. 79Beast uses bolts on his D60 and he doesn't like them as much as the studs on mine. Something about getting the bolts started through the spring plate and into the spring perch (squarely?) when using degree shims.

Will

4. 96chevysfa

ya i got the rancho bolt kit and it usees a bolt, iw ant to schange to studs because when i gert my shimmed 0-rate the bolt wont be large enough, and when i first installed it, it took like 2.5 hours just to get those two bolts in!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. 96chevysfa

so 6 degrees is safe? n e other opinions?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

why is everyone shimming the front again? low lift + 1410 equipped driveshaft = no problems.

j