Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a few general questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Jul 18, 2005.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

several questions first off my 77 has a th350 and a tiny trans cooler i figure ill get a bigger one and run the tiny one for the power steering the question is is a power steering cooler even worth my time on a daily dirver that will see some off road in the form of trail rides rocks mud sand
    2nd is about my d60 even though i havent broke it yet the pinion yoke is for only a 1230 u joint do i leave it as a type of fuze or find a yoke for 1330 or 1430 joints and where do i find these for a d60 and does anyone else have this stupid small joint on their d60 front?
    3rd is the quarter panel behind the tires should i whack them off and build a bumper that wraps around all the way to my fender opening? seams like alot of bumper also im consitering a 3" body lift but im kinda causious of them because of these trucks tendancy to have a realy flexy frame any oppinions?
    last im kinda confuzed about the doubler 205-203 prices and what exactly is involved can you tell me what the price is if i have both cases and can do my own assebly

balzer

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all a p/s fluid cooler is is a length of steel tubing out in open air under truck, to dissipate the heat off out into the air with

make one home made, easy as cake

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Here is what I did.....

Tranny cooler off brother's rig....free
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

One word of advice....do not use fuel line like I did as I was told it will deteriate over time, you need high pressure hyydraulic hose. I have yet to replce mine, but haven't really driven it in 7 months :doah:

4. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

thats just about exactly the size my trans cooler is and i think its too small for the trans so im getting a bigger one if it was just a daily driver and stock and never seen slow off road it might be ok but i still think its too small

balzer

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hose woes..

I've used 3/8 fuel line on P/S return lines for years with no issues.( but I live in MA where its not hot for very long!)--.fuel injection hose is a lot higher pessure resistant,but is costly...the "right" hose(power steering return line)- by the foot is not much more than gas line costs--or you can use hydraulic "push on" hose also...not much pressure in the return line...I've used 5/16" hose on tranny lines too--but it WILL pop if you have a shift kit,or use cheap fuel line that cant take the high temparature of the hot tranny fluid..it pays to buy "transmisson cooler hose" if you must use rubber hose..I dont know why,but its hard to buy at many parts stores.Many feel its not nessasary,but I disagree...

.I talked my boss at the parts store into getting a 25 ft roll of it after one customer who was sold fuel line came back screaming the hose failed and nearly ruined his rebuilt tranny....other counterman sold it to him,saying "its good enough"...WRONG!...my boss agreed with him,he'd sold fuel line for years as tranny line hose and had no problems--THEN!!--but cars are running higher pressure and hotter in the tranny's than years past,and a shift kit raises the pressure a lot...so to avoid hose failure,its best to use the "right stuff"!. :crazy: