Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few issues with truck after my long trip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Dec 29, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Well my trip (see my post in the lounge) went well, but truck had a few minor issues. so if any one can help , id appreciate it.

1) OEM oil pressure gauge is pegged high. But ive got an aftermarkte one that reads normal. Is this jus bad sending unit?

2) Ive got a lil bit of play in my passenger and drivers door. I think its at the hinge. Can this jus be replace and what is involved is it as easy as pounding out the old and in with the new?

3) Truck is using alot of oil (it has 120K) is this normal for long trips and 2500rpm long runs? I know ive got some oil leaks, but not that bad

4) Intake manifold is leaking almost in the middle (not anywhere near the valve covers) is this easy fix?

5) Ive got some KnN breather filters on my valve covers and I am getting ton of oil blowing outa them. There are no factory PVC or anything thatll fit in there. Im running open element air filter. What can I do about this. Ive search auto store and they dont have anything that I can utilize.

Thanks

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

1. Bad gauge (stock one)
    2. Replace the bushings in the hinges. Look in the help section of AZ
    3. Mine burns oil whne on the highway but not that much. 1qt every few thousand miles
    4. Yeah, just replace the gasket.
    5. Not sure

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

1) ya sure it would be the gauge, I would think it would be sending unit. Ill check pricing thru LMC on the gauge and what not

2) what is the AZ?

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

you really should be running a pcv, that'll help with the oil coming out of the breathers, because it will actually be pulling pressure out of the engine, without one, it can cause oil leaks, and possibly even consumption. my guess is az is auto zone, but any parts store has a help section.

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Ah okay. if I get a PCV filter, where would I run a hose to? normally they go to the air box or filter, but im running open element. of could I jus not run a hose, but jus have the filter in there?

6. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

is it carb or fuel injected, either way, it goes to a big vacuum lin on the carb, or throttle body, or just to manifold vacuum

7. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

My truck is carb. im running a holley street avenger 650cfm.

8. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

not too familiar with carbs, but every one i have ever seen has a 3/8 nipple, that is where the pcv hooks up.

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

If it was the sending unit, both gauges would read bad.

Unless you have two different sending units for your gauges. You never specified

10. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Edelbrock lower pans have provisions for a PCV attachment. They come in the box, all you have to do is punch out the knockout in the pan and bolt it on.
    That's my experience.

11. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

yeah or just get a threaded plastic nipple and drill a hole into the bottom of your intake pan and run the hose to it...

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Does it leave a puddle of oil on the intake? If so, oil is leaking past the threads of the centermost intake bolts. A couple of them seem to go into a pressurized oil passage in the block. Remove the intake bolts closest to the leak, clean them with a good degreaser, then put a small amount of Permatex #2 sealant on the threads. Reinstall the bolts to the correct torque spec and the leak should be gone. It's an easy fix and you don't have to remove the intake. :cool1:

13. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I have diff. sending units. I didnt mess with the OEM one or tap into it.

14. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

It leaves a puddle but not up at the intake mani itself. It puddles down in front of it. there is a lil ledge about an inch or so below the manifold and jus to the center of it all. Ill try and get a pic. The leak is too far in the center to be valve cover. It is near the corner of the head though. like right where the head bolts to the block.

15. Slapperbar

Sounds like valley seal got breached. May suck to be you. Pull the manifold. I need to do mine too. :(

16. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

UPDATE:

1) Got PCV filter and hose connected. I can either leave the filter on the pass. side or ill punch out the bottom of my air filter cover and get the elbow that goes in valve cover , some hose and a filter.

2) Replaced the oil pressure sending unit. the top of the factory one had broken the electrical tab off. hope motor isnt rocking so far back to hit the firewall. that would one of the first things to hit.

3) tried messing with door hinges and bushings. I gave up. Ill take it to body shop and see what itll cost. This isnt a one man operation by any means. I can see where the bushings are toast, they are brittle and falling apart. new ones will be the shizit. lol

4) Havent messed with intake manifold and honestly not too thrilled about tackling that mess.

5) while screwing around in engine bay, I decided to check header bolts. Dunno how these things were even in there, they were damn near falling out. I have to torque them every so often. what PITA. oh well. I hate to use locktite or anything on them. oh well.

Welp these are the updates for now. lol

17. Slapperbar

1) put it to the air cleaner
    2) OK
    3) repair kit is around $10 don't know about labor
    4) me either
    5) If you do have headers and not stock manifolds, use Stage 8 locking header bolts. Put them in when the engine is stone cold and you'll never have that problem again. They also make collector bolts too.