Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few more diesel questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Aug 17, 2006.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is a little white smoke on start up ok? It was only on start-up and only for a few seconds. Also when I step on the gas peddle, it takes a few seconds to get going, is that normal?

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

check your post in the diesel forum for answer aboot smoke. i don't think it's normal to have the delay - it doesn't do that on mine. what tranny do you run?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

probably normal...

My 6.2, and every other one I've seen have a white cloud out of at least one tailpipe when starting it cold..as long as it does not KEEP smoking for any length of time,I'd say its probably normal..my 6.2 has one "dead" glow plug,which I'm sure contributes to this..so might all the others I've seen!..its most likely unburned diesel fuel you see as the white smoke..you'd smell prestone burning if it were a bad head gasket,and it would likely get worse as it warmed up,if that were the cause..and the coolant might end up in the oil..

As for your "hesitation",that could be a number of things..a partially clogged up fuel filter,weak injector pump,fuel "lift" pump,timing,EGR valve,can all cause that..even a clogged air filter!(very important to keep a clean one on a diesel--it uses more air at idle than a 4 bbl carb does wide open!--and any restriction will richen the mixture enough to cause poor running...)...:crazy: