Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few pics from Barnwell-Gilmer, TX

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, Jan 7, 2003.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I love this place! Lots of trails! I was there two days and didn't even get to see a quarter of them all! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this hill had some ledges and loose rock on it. It was fun!

[​IMG]
    the trails are ranked 1-5. This trail was a 4 with a 5 obstical in it. This hill was a son of a gun. In that pic, the back of the blazer is starting to pick up. Where the front of the shadow ends is basically where the top of the hill drops off...the rest of the trail closer to the top of the pic is the bottom of the hill. It was steep. You basically just do a controlled slide down it.

[​IMG]
    This was an accident. I had just finished a trail and it was about 5 in the evening. The trail exited towards the west and the sun was in my eyes. The truck in front of me just drove up and away so I followed him. I then fell into this wash out. At the point the pic was taken, I had backed out a little. It was a little worse up in front.

[​IMG]
    My new front bumper /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]
    I had almost backed out of that wash that snuck up on me in this pic

[​IMG]
    I'm in the grey beanie cap...my campin duds /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A pit stop /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]
    After the weekend's fun and with the top back on /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Can't wait to go back again! Beautiful scenery!

2. st08x

st08x Registered Member

thats pretty awesome. where is that at? i'm around the austin area.

My K-5

3. muddin4fun

It's 2 hrs east of dallas. Prolly 5 or 6 hrs from austin?

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

How often do you frequent shiloh. A local bronco club is planning a trip out there in the spring I plan on going on a 4" and 35's how do you think I will fend? From people I have talked to that have been they say there is something for everyone from huge mud pits to the more technical stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. muddin4fun

I went to Shiloh for a competition last year, so I didn't get to poke around too much. I didn't find any good mud (wasn't looking for it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ) but I did find some hill climbs. I thought Barnwell was much better as far as technical stuff goes, but again, I only had an hour or two to look around Shiloh. With 35's you should be fine. Mine are 36's prolly measuring almost 34's by now *shrug*
    From what I understand, Shiloh leans towards mudding than technical stuff.

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the insight. I saw the mud comp. pics from Shiloh some time back... I will have to look into Barnwell as well as Shiloh since it soulds like two different offroad parks. ( Didn't think there would be such competition for an offroad park in Gilmer) Is the weekend fee at barnwell similar to shiloh 30$ a weekend or something like that?

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

That place is right in my own backyard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifBeen there a few times recently. Did you go up Wild E Coyote, Airstrip or DeWoody? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifLooks like you guys had a blast /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Looks pretty cool. there are no such things as off-road parks around here. Kinda wish there was.

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

So what would you think if we moved the Mega Run from Shiloh to Gilmer next year? You know we also have our own campsite out there at Gilmer (DFW Chapter - TX4WD).

10. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

yea! I have read about this place but have not seen any pics.
    how are the ranks evaluated (1-5)?
    what is the fee?

thanks!

11. muddin4fun

That would rock if you could move it to Barnwell! I give two thumbs up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Barnwell fee's were:
    $15 per family per weekend for members(memberships start at $35 per year) and $30 per family per weekend for non-members.

I became a member since money from it goes to keeping trails open

http://www.4wdriver.com/regions/region4/tx-barnwell.html