Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few pics of my progress on the tube chassis design

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jun 2, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Most of what is shown on these pics were to mount the engine and tranny and adjust the chassis as needed. Lots of people thinking down these lines so I wanted to share - Thanks to Steven for hosting , my sites full right now!

http://www.rockmongers.com/gallery/Echobit-BorregoK5

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

That is too cool.

What program are you using that allows you to import the pic of the truck?? I've been screwing around with Solid Works and Solid Edge. I can make some nice tube creations with nice bends and everything, but I don't have a truck in front of me, so I am having problems with dimensions. Forgot to make enough room for the tires on my first try and it pretty much destroyed the whole thing.

Oh yeah, want some help building it??? I got nothing to do this summer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last thing, how do you take a pic of the screen like that. I may want to share my stuff when once its good!! Thanks.

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Nice pics. I can't wait to see it in the prototype stage /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And to answer 84K5's question:

To take a picture of the whole screen push "Ctrl" and your print screen button. Then open paint or some photo editing type program and push "Ctrl" "V" or paste. If you just want a picture of the active window use Alt and print screen instead. It's a pretty cool feature for grabbing topographic maps off www.topozone.com. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

as 84K5 has asked, how are you doing that? that program looks like it would be AWSOME for building 3 or 4 links and such.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike, that looks great!

And nice to know you have a cool program you can use to design my cage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The software I use is called Lightwave. I use it to design just about everything I make before I physicly make it. I've got some cool link designs to add to this chassis but I've mostly been working out the drivetrain / occupant coupling of the two sub-structures. This chassis is my current build and is created using the measurements needed to adapt my current drivetrain to a 3 seater buggy which "could" theoreticly fit inside a blazer outer shell. I'm still undecided on wether to keep the blazer look in any way.

Video: http://www.echobit.com/video/tube-chassis.wmv

[​IMG]

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have thought about doing something like that but just don't currently have the resources to do it. My thought was to retain the floor, firewall, windsheild and bed rails of a 73-75. Loose the rest and buld a tube buggy. One the tube buggy chassis just hang the body skin and go with fiberglass. That would leave enough blazer that you could still run a soft top and still be streetable with HVAC funtional. When your ready for the trail just leave the skin at camp or home. Short of rolling it would not be much left to hurt. Get home and throw the fenders back on it and it's good to go.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

WOW that is perrty trick stuff!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

<---wipes drool from keyboard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Nice lightwave work. How are you getting a "numeric" radius on the bends? I assumed you were using rail extrude along a splined curve to make the tubes, but you'd have to plot the points to get correct bends, and that's a total PIA.

BIGJ

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I premake my tubing in straight 20 ft pieces in a different layer, subdivided in 20 sections. Then I import the tube and use the 3d grid to make my bends by hand (mouse) within the 4.5" bend radius of my die. It is time consuming but its more hands on, just like it is with the bender.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Looks nice.

Just don't start building it (or finilize the design) before you deside what link setup you are going to use in the rear.

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I cant make up my mind on how to run the links - so many options in that arena. I'm more looking at speed running with articulation capability as opposed to a rock buggy but mixing the two makes for some intersting geometry. It will probably be another year before I actually bust out the welder and notcher on this one.