Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few pics, out in the hills today with the new gear. *Now Video*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jun 11, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Took my neighbor out for a run in our local hills. First time out with the new stuff, felt like a different truck. I'm barely rubbing the fenders still and hanging the rear end on the shocks badly but it still perfomermed well. Almost finished with the front tube bumper, half way finished with the rear and the rock sliders are still in the garage waiting for me to cut off the rusty rocker panels and weld them up.

2. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Re: A few pics, out in the hills today with the new gear.

jeez Mike now im jealous of your junk !! crappy lil 305 powered np208 leaking wasted body mounts ah i dont have enuff room to type it all !! but seriouly NOW u should try that imperial mud !!! oh yeah and i got a pair of those 36 inch procomp shocks , wanna buy wm for the rear of yours , looks like you could limit em out !

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I completely forgot to add the link. Thanks. The truck has much more potential for flex, my shackles never made it past 90* on droop. I unhooked a shock with the wheel hung and it fell to the ground. Consequently, my front drive shaft and front differential are removed durring this run getting repaired, all that was just from the rear detroit locker. I should have video up in a little bit. I'll try and remember a link this time! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You saw that too eh, I couldn't feel it in the truck but the video shows the tire hangin by the shock. Which model are they, adjustable? I'm looking forward to that mud down there just as soon as I get my front diff bearings and seals back in and the shafts to boot. Here's that video clip..

http://www.echobit.com/video/1ton-k5-38s.wmv

I'm posting more pics too, close-up of the bumper. Theres a Los Coyotes run coming up Andy, how much longer until your trail ready?

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very cool video /forums/images/icons/smile.gif can i offer you one pointer on the video ????

turn off your lights lol they blinded me lol /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The irony in all that was that the lights on clip was the first one shot, I turned the lights out for the rest of the filming and upped the exposure on the camera to make it look earlier in the day, then put the lights on clip at the end and pretended it was sequential. I agree, the lights made the footage look crummy, but it was getting really dark. The camera makesx it look like 3pm rather than 7pm.

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Hey, thanks for the video. You have a good amount of flex there.

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Mike,

Wow...! Looks like those springs are really doin' the trick.

The Ford springs are flexy... Sometimes people assume that the reason I recommend "no towing" with my system is because the shackle could move around. This is not the cause.... The reason is cuz the Ford springs are so soft that a heavily loaded rig could get away from you. The shackle never goes anywhere on the street.

I like your ideas... seems to have worked really well /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Marv

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

lol /forums/images/icons/smile.gif man you do have some awesome flex /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

When are we going to see that monster on the trail? You have to make one to our trips.

I still can't believe you got tires 1/2" bigger than mine. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I really like the ford springs, no question there, but I have a "LOT" of tuning to do to really take advantage of them. While the back end rides increadibly soft on the street (agreed, no towing!), the larger tires threw my dampening off and I lost almost all of my off road speed capability for desert running. Since I'm hanging badly by the shocks it makes a good time too look at other options... unfortunately I'm thinking a remote reservoir and tailored valving might be the only way to go if i want this to be dual purpose truck so I might have to bust out the wallet on that one.

I'm still up in the air with how to improve the front ends flex down without increasing the current wheel stuff. I figure HD extended shackles could help but worried about caster changes.

Thanks for the kind comments considering it was in 2 WHEEL DRIVE, (hangs head in shame)!

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm getting it trail ready! It's almost there, just have to finish relocating my rear brake lines, front diff refreshed and the rest of my tube bending armor. I'll definately take it out on any So Cal runs and once the bugs are worked out, maybe farther!

Tell you what, I'll air down 2" and you'll be 1 1/2" taller! Hahah

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I dig the plaid seats /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    My wifes 79 was worse. Full disc in fact we call it Disco. Red carpet, red crushed volur seats with white vinyl backs, had white side pannels and door pannels but previous owner dyed them to match the carpet. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Ugh! If they weren't high backs and in such good condition they'd be long gone by now!!! And how about the extra soft springs they put in them so for every 1inch the body rises or lowers, your butt moves 3 inches. Makes those washboards seam like moguls! hahah

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

hey they are the 3000 series , non adjustable , but they are REALLY long i wonder if ill be able to fit them under my truck ..

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Very nice! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey nice video clips! Nice to hear that 415! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Man, theres some flex too!

19. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

SWEET RIDE MAN!!!! I think its time for me to up mine to 35's. 38's would be nicer though.

Evan

20. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Ya know, I just realized that I had forgotton to disconnect the front swaybar when we did all that. No wonder it wasn't rubbing as bad anymore, even after all that trimming!