Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a few plasma spray pics from saturday morning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rdn2blazer, Jun 24, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I had to work today, so I took a few pics in the plasma spray shop.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  2. rdn2blazer

one more. it hurt my eyes to look at this as close as I was. its bright.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't understand what I'm looking at. Please take a minute and describe the pics for me, please. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but keep in mind I'm a simple ditchdigger.........:crazy:

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Can Man
    your a stylin pimpin ditchdigger in the big red mickey wagon..

I weld with (true) spray arc... the metal literally becomes molten and "sprays" onto the base metal welding it together...the lincoln powermig has several settings for it.. it produces a very "smooth" weld.. requires a different gas mix than 75/25... I use 84 /15/1 ar/co2/O.... sounds like a weedwhacker when youre welding
    and I cut with plasma arc,,
    but rdn2blaze is going to fill us in as to what plasma spray is

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I work around welders everyday, but all I ever see is straight-on pipeline arc welding, with a little bit of structural work every so often. Generally I'm too busy to worry about what the welders are doing.....

6. rdn2blazer

coatings are applied through a flame spray process using several types of gasses like hydrogen, oxy accetaline, argon, and nitrogen. there is an arc that starts the flame then depending on the process there is either a type of wire of powdered metal introduced into the flame spray.

the gasses and powdered metals or wire are fed into the "gun", the flame reaches volocities in the range of mach 2 to mach 4. the flame heat coming out the end of the gun can be controlled to better promote the melting of the introduced metals. we can reach a flame temp of 30,000 degF if necessary. most coating are good at a temp of about 5000 deg F. even with that kind of heat we can maintain a parts surface temp to about 300 degs F. with a fast traverse movement of the gun and high pressure air jets blasting at the part while being sprayed.

coatings like hard crome were the industry standard for many years. but with coating development in the last 20 or even 30 years "plasma coatings" are and have been taking over for being concidered the "industry standard". hard crome is much softer then several of our coatings and is poorous, which allows corrosion of the base material over time. carbide coatings are so dence and hard they virtually eliminate corrosion, and have 3 to 10 times or more the wear resistant cabilities. I could go on and on about coatings but I will stop here.

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Umm why stop? I actually leaned in closer to the screen so it'd be easier and faster to read. I to am like Paul and have never heard of what you were doing and or will be doing come your next day of work.

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I <3 spray-transfer

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that second pic looks comfortable! :yikes:

10. rdn2blazer

that pic is just perspective. he is about 8 ft away from the flame. I dont want to think about what would happen if the flame hit any part of a human body with a flame heat of 5000 deg and a volicity of several thousand miles an hour :eek1: . the sprayer is changing the part, the robot is programed to move to the upper corner of the catch booth.