Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Few Questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Blazr77400, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

1st question is about the Front spring brackets, how come no one has redone a set of those. Is it just to unsafe. Going with a 1"bracket and a 1"longer shackle would seem ok. Or maybe go with a little bit bigger bracket to adjust pinion angle. Then you could go with a little bit flatter spring.

2nd question is about the Bead lock wheels. I ordered a set of the 15x10 eaton 8 lug beadlocks. Has anyone ever seen a custom set of outer rings. The only ones i have seen are the ones with the Holes in it. Looks kind of like the 589 eagle's. I was going to try and Fabricate a Ring that Has a Hole Just big enough to get a lug wrench in there and have a pattern all the way around. I may even do a Big Bowtie with some Heartbeat of America signs in it. If i get the wheels in time i will start on a set. Takes 4 weeks to get them. In that time i may switch to a bigger company that wont let me have access to a free machine. Will try and get pics of what i do.

3rd question is on how much of the caliper is going to have to be ground off my dana 60 to get the 15x10's to fit. That kinda scares me but havent herd any problems with it.

My last question is about the strength of the Dana 60 ARB locker. Has anyone ever herd of it Braking. I only have 6.2 but i want something i wont have to worry about.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

1, building new front spring hangers is kind of a popular mod for custom rigs, but for a lot of trail rigs, the springhangers get beat up offroad without hanging down any more than they already do. And with up to a 6" lift, maybe even a little more, you can get decent flex with just a spring, so keeping the spring flatter isn't a huge concern. It's not a bad idea overall.

2. Haven't seen any beadlock rings like what you're talking about, the trailready, champion, and stockton wide rings are the widest I've seen so far. Remember the locking hubs........

3. From what I've seen you have to take off a bunch of caliper material to get the 15" wheels to fit if they have more than about 3.25" backspacing. Don't have a solid amount, but I know the lower backspacing wheels fit with really minor grinding.

4. I have not heard of any strength concerns with a D60 ARB. I have no problems with mine, I've broken one joint so far, and know a lot of people that break front and rear axles with them with no ill effects. They are a 4 pinion design with a pretty beefy case, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

The eaton Bead Lock wheels i Ordered are 15x10 8 lugs with 3.5 inch backspacing. Should the 14 bolt Drums clear?
    Maybe i will have to get into Making those Beadlock rings. I would consider Making a custom set with what ever you want on them, in trade for a Gen. 2 Double Kit, Stephen. LOL
    I am going to start on the Rings the weekend after i get My wheels, should be this weekend or the Next. Go To this link and look at the Picture labeled Truck3 in the Album. Thats KInd of what i am shooting For.
    4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazr774001>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazr774001</a>

4. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Clearance is not an issue with the rear drums, unless you are swapping Honda wheels.

David Oliver
    '85 'burban
    B&B 6.2L J NA
    T-700
    5.5"lift, 35"BFGs
    *Banks Turbo coming soon*

5. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

my d60 calipers are ground to fit my 15x14s...havent had a problem yet!

[​IMG]Mash Out![​IMG]
    82 Blazer 1 Ton "Big Nasty"
    78 Jimmy 3/4 Ton
    <font color=red>"Red Dawg" </font color=red>

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

14 bolt should be fine with the wheels.
    Looking at those pics, did you get the new shackles yet? That's quality breakage there!
    The wheel rings look pretty good. That may be the new style trend!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>