Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Doug, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Doug

Doug Registered Member

As I've said before, I just picked up my first K5. My experience is mostly with Jeeps, and this Blazer ('85) has no owners manual.

My first question is, what does the computer (above the heater core) control?

Does anyone have experience with removing California emissions (I'm in Colorado) that could offer me some advice.

Lastly (for today anyway), is the window washer resevoir and pump different from a pickup? My Blazer didn't come with a resevoir. I assumed it had the pump attached to the resevoir, but when I picked up a resevoir from a pickup yesterday, it had no pump. All of the pickups were the same. On my Blazer, there is the hose which looks like it would mount on the bottom of the resevoir the way it is mounted, and there are two wires (one connector) that terminates in the same area. Secondly, the resevoir doesn't mount the same as a pickup, close but the one hole has no nut, the second nut is about 2 inches closer to the firewall.

'85 k5, 350, 700r4, np208, 10 bolts, as of 10/2001; wish list is extensive.

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

is that a feed back type quadra bog? or TBI?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

"computer" is probably ESC, which is electronic spark control. Believe that is basically a retard device, to save your engine if it starts "detonating". I'm not sure that the feedback Q-jets on trucks had a computer that controlled them. With a temperature sensor, maybe they did, but trace wires and find out. Would be good to know info on these rather rare carbs.

Leave the emissions alone. With the feedback carb, lockup, and ESC (likely) if you remove one of the wrong wires/hoses, you are going to be angry that the truck no longer works right. The only component that I know of that can be removed and cause no ill effects (except to the cat converter) is AIR. And AIR is what takes up a LOT of underhood space, and adds miles of hoses. Again, you'd have to be careful doing this. Half the time, the AIR system is already damaged, so getting rid of it isn't too bad an idea.

Washer on your '85 I *think* would have been a solenoid IN the washer tank. If you have two wires and the hose terminating on the drivers inner fender, about halfway between the firewall and core support, thats what your truck requires. The washer pump also will not have "fittings" for the water in/out lines on atruck that requires an in-tank pump. The in-tank pumps are MUCH better than the older washer motor mounted pumps.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Yup yup - in 85 the "new" design washer setup came into being. Need to find one from an 85-91 Blazer or Sub.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Jimmy had ESC when I got it. I switched to the older style HEI and just cut the ESC crap with my handy side cutters and never looked back. It also runs 10 times beter than it ever did with the ESC set-up.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>