Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few ?'s and a price check please.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lance, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

A few ?\'s and a price check please.....

I was looking into a BTO or TCI 700r4, but I have come across a 400/203 combo at a local off-road shop for $500.00 (or $700.00 for the whole truck). I am interested in it but have a few questions that someone may can answer.

1. Does the price seem fair? To me that price seems to be a bit on the higher end of fair but I really don't know.

2. The tranny will undoubtedly need a re-build what can I expect to pay for the re-build? As far as I am concerned, autos work from pfm. I have little desire to uncover this mystery, not to mention a pro can do it quicker and probably cheaper than I could hope.

3. I won't be able to afford a doubler for it right now (but that is why I am interested in this combo) so I will have to install a part time kit in the 203. I can find what the kits run but what about the hidden costs from someone who has done this work? I can probably do the labor as I rebuilt my current NP241, but amuse me, what would someone charge to do the work?

4. Then there is the VSS. I have done some reading on machining the output on 205's but can it be done for the 203, that is until I can afford the doubler. And if I do this to the 203 will it end up causing hardships when I am ready for the doubler.

5. I guess I will also need the crossmembers from the truck as well. Anything else I need from the donor?

6. It is going to take me some time to find a 205 and afford the doubler so is this swap to cure my current tranny problems even worth it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lance

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Re: Price Check Please.....

$500 for the trans and t-case sounds high. $700 for the whole truck doesnt sound bad, you could part it out and get some of your money back.

3. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Not this truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Someone has to know the answers to these questions. BTTT

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Re: A few ?\'s and a price check please.....

the price seems in the ball park for the th400/203 combo, depending on its condition of course.