Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a few stupid questions..... motor mounts, gear oil, and t-case brace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Mar 6, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Jul 23, 2001
    I didnt feel like flooding the board with 3 different posts so here it all is.......

im putting my motor mounts back onto the frame.. I replaced the rubber with urethane, and well theres a lot of play/adjustment that can be made on the 3 bolts that hold each motor mount down.. should I wait to tighten those until the motor is seated in the mounts? Im wondering if anyone has tightened them and then had troubles lining up the mounts when installing the engine later......

the other is, what oil do you guys run in the np205? I know it takes gear oil but does the weight really matter? I bought some 80w-90 for mine today..

oh one last thing.. Im thinking about making myself a brace that goes from the side pad on the np205, to the bellhousing.... It will be for a NP205+TH350, and maybe I could make a few extra while Im at it if people are interested..

on my 205, I am going to have to grind that pad flat and drill & tap the holes, as there are none in the transfer case currently.. Also-- Ive not seen or heard of a brace for that tranny/t-case setup. Anyone know if there was such a brace on a factory th350/np205?

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

May 22, 2000
    I just put my new motor in over the weekend with the new Poly mounts (clamshell style). I tightened the mounts before lowering the engine and it took a little pursuasion with the crow bar to get it right. If you can reach the engine mount bolts after the engine is in, I'd say torque them down then. Although it wasn't too bad if they were already torqued.

As for the Tcase/Bellhousing brace, I know they came with my 208/700r4 combo.

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Mar 4, 2001
    I run 80/90 in mine, but I am thinking about going to synthetic, I have 1000 gallons of it at the shop so why not.
    On my 205 I have the pad and it is drilled and tapped for a brace and I have a 465 gear box. No brace though.
    I was gonna make one for when I swapped in the aluminum bell housing but since I just found that I can run non custom headers with my cast iron 1956 one i'll just leave well enough alone.
    Although I wish I could find a cover for it.
    It does make it easy to wash the clutch out though.
  4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Jan 7, 2002
    The t-case bracket is a factory part. Try an '80 truck / Blazer application, that would have had the bar (and the 205 was the only t-case available). They can be tough for the parts guy (at the dealer) to find, they're listed with the motor mounts.

I wouldn't bother trying to make one, when I checked on one for my 400/205 set up it was only $12 !! (I bought 2). Good luck.