Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few stupid questions!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Sep 15, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I went to set the timing on my 86 305 motor I put in my 79 C10--the damper has a timing mark,but there is no "pointer"on the timing cover--I see no visible evidence it ever had one,no spot welds,none was bolted to the timing cover when I remover it to change the chain and gears--my question is did it ever have one--or because it was a computer controlled van it came from,they dont use a timing light??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif--I've set the timing by /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif,but would like to know its timed properly,I dont want to burn a piston by making it ping(especially since I removed the EGR valve).Anyone know???? Do I have to buy an aftermarket "pointer"?and how do I know if its accurate??.
    The next question is about the fuel injector lines on my 6.2 diesel--it seems rust has finally penatrated one of them enough to make it start weeping--is it possible to splice in a new section of tubing with flare fittings or compression fittings,or do I have to replace the whole line.involving removing the intake and several other things I'd rather not touch right now--my wallet is still empty from the motor swap on the other truck---this is getting monotonous--fix one,the other one gets jealous and screws up--oh,it had a flat rear tire too--looks like another day in paradise! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Find TDC on the motor manually and then make a mark to use as your timing indicator. A carb 305 should only be 4* BTDC so it won't be far away form the motors TDC. You can get the tools to roughly find TDC for like $10-15.

Other then that I would just time the motor by ear. Set the timing and run it and see if you get pings. If so back the timing down.

Harley