Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a few suspension questions ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BL1TZKRIEG, Jul 28, 2005.

1. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about doing a 4" shackle flip and get rid of my blocks

I want to replace the old springs "their stock height" with new ones
    whats a good place to get new stock rear leaf springs? jc whitney has some are they any good?

if I get new rear springs when I do the shakle flip will I need to get some zero rates or will it be high enough

also my slip yoke sticks out just a little over 3 1/2" is that to much? how far are the suppost to stick out?

2. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I assume you have 4" lift w/blocks in rear. With old stock springs, you never know where it's going to sit until you lower the truck onto the axles. My truck sat perfectly level on the stock springs, installed 4" Tuff countrys all around (HD in front) and the rear sat 3" lower then the front. Had to put in a helper and a zero rate to level the thing.

I suggest you do the shackle flip, use your existing springs to see where it's going to sit. And then figure out how many inches your going to need. Instead of stock springs, you could use a 2" lift spring/zero rate combo or go with new stock springs and hope their not saggy. You will get a better ride with stock springs. Then see where it sits again. LMC Trucks sell stock springs also. Not sure of price though.

It stinks, not sure if I helped at all, but trying to keep you from spending unessessary cash with a little tweeking and planning.

Don't know about the slip yoke. Sorry.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did the shackle flip and a zero rate on the back, 5" springs up front, and I need about another 1" of lift in my saggy rear.

4. BL1TZKRIEG

thanks a lot for the suggestions

yes I have 4" springs up front and 5 1/2" blocks in the back :doah:
    it sits perfect now accept for the passenger side leaf being sagged out. thats why I need new springs cause it leans to one side.

5. BL1TZKRIEG

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

look in the yellow pages of your phone book and find a spring shop in your area for stock style springs. i can get them in my area for about 100 bucks per pack. 5 leaf with over load also. 52" rears. and if you want to do poly bushings thay can press out the stock style rubber bushings a lot easyer than you can. and thay will have all kinds of bolts and ubolts made to fit in stock for ya so you dont need to run around all over for stuff. good luck.

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i just posted my lDIY4x flipshacke with stock leafs ,finished last night.

8. BL1TZKRIEG

thanks for the replies

anybody know how far the slip yoke is supposed to stick out ?
    is 3 1/2" too much, how far does it stick out stock?