Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few things I have planned

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spencerjw, Oct 10, 2001.

1. spencerjw

spencerjw Registered Member

Ok, now that I have my 86 K5, I have a few things that I want to do to make her *my own*. If possible I'd appreciate some assistance from those of you who have done this sort of thing.

1) I want to do the "Axel Lift". I believe that this is a lift that is accomplished without having to buy additional parts (except some new bushings possibly). Anyone have a FAQ as to how this is done and hopefully some pics?

2) I want to change out the front seats to something a bit more comfortible. the ones that are stock in the 86's are in GREAT shape, and I'd be willing to sell them to someone if I can find a solution for better ones. These are nice, but the NON-adjustable back rests are hard on my back and I also need to find something that will allow me to raise the seat some (I am 5'11", but with a short upper body I guess).

3) I am interested in knowing if there's a solution to the problem of no rear defroster. Not a biggie, but somehting I'd like to research a little bit.

4) The driver door lock switch (power locks) doesn't *lock* the doors, but it will UNlock them. Can I simply get a new switch to soleve this problem?

5) *down the road modification*
    I'd like to eventually put in an alarm system which will allow me to have key-less entry, as well as "Remote Start". With this 86 you usually have to give the gas peddal a puch when starting it, and this seems to work pretty well. However, with remort start I'm not sure if there's a way to do this. Is there a remort start system that would do this somehow automatically or would there be a different solution?

Please, if you can answer *any* of these situations please do so. If need be, email me off list to the address in my sig file. Also, if you have any other ideas, comments, or suggestions as to how I can do things to my new 86 K5 without spending a whole lot of money I'd be greatly thankful!!

For those who are interested, I have provided a link to a pic of her with the pervious owner, Scott. I'm the one in the T-Shirt. He's on this board as well, just not sure if he's going to be too active anymore. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://diesel21.com/K5_Images/>http://diesel21.com/K5_Images/</a>

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

About the remote start, you wont be able to do it. You need a fuel injected vehicle to make them work, and blazers were not injected till 87. sorry.

as for the lock switch, a new one will solve the problem, sometimes you can fix it by just cleaning your existing switch.

Nice Truck!! My interior looks exactly like yours. My seats have the folding backs though. Is your Dashpad Dark Brown? (it looks like it is in the pic) I was just wondering, bacause mine is dark brown, and it Doesnt match a DAMN THING!!! kinda makes me mad, a nice tan interior and a chocolate dash. Anyone know if this is normal, or if my dashpad was replaced previously?
    --matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by shaggyk5 on 10/10/01 08:53 PM.</FONT></P>

3. spencerjw

So the Fuel Injection is pretty much a *requirement* for a remote start, or is it just *highly* recommended? Wish I had known that.

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428

4. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

It may be your Door lock Relay.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

5. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

You could train one of those little monkeys For your Remote start and keyless entry.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

pretty much a requirement. I have yet to see a remote start kit that didnt require injection and an auto trans, and I sell car parts. However, a stand-alone Alarm system (w/out remote start) should be no problem for you.

--matt

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Seats - I run Flofit seats and have had them for almost 3 years now.........love them. Paid around $800 delivered to my door with the correct mounts, direct bolt in. Pics of them on my site. Lots of other good aftermarket seats out there, give a call to Seat Source in Riverside, CA - they carry most all of the majors - 909-343-9430 is their number.

Never seen a rear defroster in anything but the old FJ40 style of Land Cruisers. Those weren't even defrosters, just heaters, but never seen anything like either.

Sounds like the solenoid for the drivers power door is sticking. Try opening up the panel, WD-40 the mechanism to see if it helps, if not replace it. Not a big deal.

Alarms - I run a Viper with the keyless entry feature. Don't have the auto start feature, but I could as I have FI. I do believe as my other esteemed colleagues have stated that you MUST have FI for this to work. As you said, a Qjet you almost have to kick the pedal for once to start it right.

Anyway, good luck with your new toy...........you'll love it.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Esteemed? who, Me? who would have guessed......

--matt

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That ugly turd brown dashpad existed in 85's - mine has it too: pugsley.alloffroad.com

10. spencerjw

Probably not, mine is the same chocolate color too. [​IMG]

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428

11. spencerjw

I have recently heard that now they have an alarm that is designed for 5-Speeds. When I go shopping for one I will let everyone know if this is true or not and if it is which brand it is and how it's accomplished.

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428

12. spencerjw

Anyone have any more comments/suggestions on these issues??

I'd really like more info about the *free* (- possible bushing replacements) Lift that ahs to do with the leaf springs and filpping over the mounts/axle.

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428

13. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The axle flip I believe refers to the idea of putting the leafs on top of the axle instead of under it but our trucks already have that so its not an option for us.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>