Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A few things.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newboy89, Nov 18, 2001.

1. newboy89

newboy89 Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm new to the hobby and the site so i just wanted to introduce my self, i'm Charlie and i just bought a bone stock '89 K-5. the first question i have to you, the gurus of all things blazer, is what is the best way to lift a truck? i want to put about 6-8 inches on her and stuff some new rims and meats under her old body to freshen her up a bit. i dont know anything about ratios in the rear or front all i know is that they havent been touched out of the factory, nothing on her has. so what is involved in that? any suggestions you guys may have on doing anything different are more then welcome.. so thanks in advance for the help. by the way she's got the half ton setup under her if that makes any difference. thanks again.

-Charlie Lamberti

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Starting from bone stock I'd take my time...learn all you can before spending your money on something you might change later when you have more info. Check the Member pictures area and check the common mods done.

Common upgrades are beefier axles, better gears (to help turn the bigger tires) and just enough lift/body trimming to run the big tires.

A little research and patience is your best friend if you are new to these trucks.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt go any bigger than 6" of lift unless you do 6" suspension and 2" body. As for tirs, if its a daily driver I wouldnt go any bigger than 35s. As for gears with 35s you need at least 3.73s but really need 4.10s or 4.56s.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>