Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A fix for a stubburn swaybar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Apr 25, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Here's the deal. The last couple of times I've disconnected the sway bar (using ORD's disconnects) It's been difficult to get the swaybar to move up or down. I have new bushings at the pivot points that I installed about a month ago (that mount the swaybar to the frame)... My question is there a company that sell greasable brackets for the two pivot points?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know on various other suspension bushings, when poly is used (yuck) if they aren't already present, people drill the bushing (and bracket in your case) for a zerk fitting.

I know rubber and oil don't really mix, not sure if that holds true for grease and rubber though. (maybe synthetic grease?)

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, get them from Energy Suspension! I had the same problem and went and bought the greasable bushings from Energy and they work awesome! It slides up and down with the touch of a finger with the greasable ones! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was having the same problem awhile back, but will never have it again. I disconnected it before my last trail ride, and couldn't hardly get it to move. So I got under it and bench pressed it up as much as possible. Then I let the axle to the rest of the work to move it when I started flexing. After the ride, I drove home without it connected, and I didn't mind how the truck acted without the swaybar connected, so I sold the disconnect kit and ditched the swaybar. I haven't found any major side effects of removing the swaybar, except a little more nose diving during hard braking, and a little more body roll in corner. And that is all very managable. This is also with a soft 2.5" lift, if you have a higher, stiffer lift then you wouldn't even notice it as much as me.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm with Hoss... ditch the darn thing and get on with life! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif You'll be just fine. Otherwise, check Grimmy's trail gear article. He suggested some tools in there just for what you are describing. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I agree, the ride is not too wild without the swaybar. I didn't hardly use it either, and I sold the disconnects and greasable bushings also...with my new D60 and crossover, I can't run one anyway...no big deal. I will say that for mountain driving, the swaybar definitely helps!

With the greasables, it's so easy to move it back and forth, that you might as well use it if you do a lot of highway driving and want the tightest ride available.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Well I did a search and found the energy suspension ones,and instead of buying them I just drilled,and tapped a zerk fitting into the stock brackets. Also had to drill a hole in the bushing,but it works alot better. Only cost was the fitting's..at the local hardware store..

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I was going to buy the energy suspension but figured it be easy enough to do the same thing, hell I'm so cheesy I took the zerks off old u joints hehehe.....

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

yea just ditch the sway bar...mine rides just fine without it..been runnin without it since november.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I had mine off for 3 days after I installed my lift and I like it better with it on, ofcourse I'd do just about anything to stiffen up the steering on my Blazer...