Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A ? for those who have shaved their.........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FRIZZLEFRY, Mar 28, 2002.

1. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

........14 bolts /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The clearance under my 44 and 14 bolt is almost the same.I dont realy know if If I have lost any clearance as compared to the 12 bolt because Im running a taller tire now.

I was just wondering how much everyone else took off and what difference in ground clearance you have front to rear.Just curious /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

i gained 3/4 inch when i shaved my 14b

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

What are the specs on your truck now? How big did you go?

5. FRIZZLEFRY

Does it hang down lower than your 44?

The truck is now a 74 C20 (on paper) and sitting on 37-12.5 15s /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.After this weekend I will have some pics up.

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

The 14B hangs 1" lower than my D44. I didn't really shave it for clearance, mostly just to get rid of the sharp lip so it would slide over stuff.

37's and 3/4 ton huh... you've been busy. Can't wait to see it. You might have to take a little more off the fenders since your rig flexes like a muthaF'er!

7. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I shaved mine smooth. My clearance w/ 35/14.5/15 SSR's w/ 24psi (street preasure) I'm a strong 9 3/4". I even trimmed the head of 1 of the bolts. No thead is exposed.
    Later Ed

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha LOL
    I too have been 'shaving' but not realy for clearence but to remove 'hang-up' spots. For the most part everything is gonna hit at one time or another so making it as slide friendly as you can, no hang points, is the best way to shave! So when shaving shave it with sliding over a rock in mind..
    .02c
    tick tock...tick tock the clock is ticking and MOAB is around the corner!!!!! YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAA!!!/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

9. FRIZZLEFRY

I whiped out the ol tape measure last night and Iv got 11" in the back and 11.5" in the front.So only .5" differance.I cut off the lip and then ground the whole bottom smooth but keeping the bolt holes .I also made an anticrunchyerdifcover gaurd thing for it sorta like the one I have up front.

Yup ,Iv been very busy the last month and a half.And yes more trimming is on the list for this weekend along with about 50 other things /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

You gonna make it to Holister Apr. 21st?

10. FRIZZLEFRY

.........tick tock tick tock.....I hear that! I cant wait!!

Ya know if your gonna be able to make it to Holister yet?

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Still working on it! It is my wife's B-day today so it's all about her this week so don't really wana talk wheelin with her quite yet!! With my wife timming is everything!! Most likely I am going! Probly 80% I will be there.
    Hey while I got you...do you wana just bring the fab parts too me nad I can do the rest?

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I trimmed it up as high as possible with still leaving enough room for the bottom diff cover bolt so it didn't hang down below the housing. I didn't take any measurements on clearance though. The smooth bottom really seems to help, there are a lot of times I go right through some ruts with no apparent problems and afterwards look and can see where the diff was dragging. It used to be if the diff started dragging I was stuck.

I plan on grinding a little more off to the sides of the immediate bottom to make the bottom of the diff a little flatter, and hopefully so it will dig in even less. I also want to smooth out the bottom of the front 10-bolt a little.

13. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Lets see some pics of the "anticrunchyerdifcover". If its anything like your other fab jobs it should be pretty stout.

Yes I am making it to Hollister for the first Nor Cal Big Dawgs meeting! I finally got my crap back on the road 2 weeks ago. Just got the motor past 500mi so all is broken in.

Lets see some pics of yours with the new goodies!