Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Ford 9" Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by COYOTE35, Jun 1, 2001.

1. COYOTE35

COYOTE35 1/2 ton status

A Ford 9\" Question

I just blew up my 10 bolt and a friend is trying to talk me into replacing it with a Ford 9". I was going to go with a 14 bolt but I like the size, strength and weight savings of the 9".

Does anyone have any experience with the 9" I am concerned about driveline angles and such.

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

Re: A Ford 9\" Question

I would stay away from the 9 go with the 14 or dana 60. In fact I've never seen a 9 on a blazer that doen't mean it wouldn't work great. thats just my opinon.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: A Ford 9" Question

I would not get one! Yikes! 9 inches are more for racing/street driving...not to mention for Fords. Why you don't see more Fords offroad, they all have those 9 inch rears! He he he! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)

I happen to like 9"'s they are tough axles that have been around forever(you can get pretty trick stuff) I have had them hold up with 450hp and 36" tires with only a Warn FF kit. The only problem I see is the fords use a 5 on 5 1/2 lug arrangement and out trucks use 6, and you will have to fab perches, shock mts. The 3/4 ton 14bolt is a bolt in setup and requres wheel adapting as well. I guess its all on what you can pick up cheap. Just so you know I 14bolted my K5.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You could proabably get a 14FF for just as much as a 9"

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've had lots of experiance with Ford 9". If you can get it to work, do it! They didn't get their rep for being bullet proof for nothin! LOL!! That's about the only thing Ford did right. [​IMG]. What size tires are you running and such? I don't think it's a one ton rear end though....if that's what you need, then get some sorta one ton rear end.

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

7. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

9" is a good diff. It'd definitely hold up under a Blazer if you got a 31 spline version. But the rim bolt pattern would have to be changed, then the brakes, and so-on. And the 14-bolt would be cheaper. So I'd go for the 14bolt given those choices.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

"I would not get one! Yikes! 9 inches are more for racing/street driving...not to mention for Fords. Why you don't see more Fords offroad, they all have those 9 inch rears! He he he! "
    Since I'm such a nice guy, I'll forward all responses to you from my dez buddies. :O)

"Liberals ain't mean, they just don't have any common sense!"

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Smart man. Go with the 9 inch. The trouble you will go through, the price you pay for this will be worth the reward.

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Well, as far as I am concerned it's true.... maybe I am wrong... but in the times I have went off roading, which is not a ton.... I saw 2 Fords who tried to do rocks and ended up with broken axles. Both were Broncos with 9 inch rear ends... that's why I said what I did. So if it's works for you cool. I know my 10 bolts couldn't do jack in the rocks.... so when they die I'm going to get the best I can afford! Cuz I don't want to have to walk 3 miles like those Bronco had too![​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ford 9 inchers rock, Super strong ring and pinion gears set up, just like the 14 bolt full floater.....BUT.... I would not put one in a Blazer because the pinion gear enters the case way to low for any kind of decent driveline (U-joint) angle. I think it enters the case about 1 inch lower than a normal (10 or 12 bolt) And the "normal" rear axles put the drive line at a prety steep angle, even with just a 4" lift. Also, I think the stock shafts for a 9" are about 1.31" (not positive on that) and thats about the same dia. as a stock shaft.

I'd recomend sticking with the tried and true stuff (14-bolt)

Twiztid

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Take a look at Currie Enterprise's website. There's a few reasons why the 9 inch is IMHO pound for pound the best rear end. Just because you know of 2 that broke and say it's no good is like me saying the 12 bolt is junk just because I grenaded one twice within a month (no offroad time). If I had the choice between a 14b, a D60 and a 9", I'm taking the 9. Why? Because I have personal experience on how tough these things are.

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'd throw one in my camaro, without skiping a beat. But not in a short wheel base truck. It just has to low of a pinion for that. (unless you use a C/V joint in the drive line nd pick the pinion angle up, but thats another story)

Twiztid

14. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

If you have a d-44 now and get the rotors for a ford w/ a d-44 they will bolt up no prob. The rotors are cheap. The wheels will set you back, but you shouldn't have a prob finding used 5 lug wheels. On the rear all you would have to do is weld on perches. Most race shops should sell the perches cheap.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I'll throw one in my truck in a heartbeat. On something like this, I would go almost all out.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Dang, just had to bring it back since I have a 9" now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Who's got the "Attention Whore" pic??????? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well welded 9" seems to hold up pretty well to my buddies f150 with a 2 barreled 351w...and lots of skinny pedal...

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    well welded 9" seems to hold up pretty well to my buddies f150 with a 2 barreled 351w...and lots of skinny pedal...

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is getting a spool...........

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I just read the latest petersens mag and they featured a Tube K5 with the 9" rear and 38" swampers, he was in moab doing things not many dared to do and it seems this axle is holding up to the 488ci BBC. So why not go for it.
    The design of the 9" with the bearing on both ends of the pinion one on the front and one on the nose makes the ring and pinion really stable under torque so it can take the abuse, and the axle shafts can be upgraded up to 4o spline if that is what you want.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

go 4pinion with your 9" and you should be set...this is as it used 4 pinion side gears insted of the normal 2..