Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a front axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmaxxer9, Feb 13, 2003.

1. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok here is thee low down. I bought an axle from this one person I know and he told me it was a dana 60, and then I talked to another guy about buying it from me and he said it wasn't a dana 60 because it didn't have the four bolts on the steering knuckle. I wasn't able show it to him because I weent to his house to talk to him, but from thee way I described it hee said it could eeither be a dana 44 or a dana 50. I know it ain't a dana 44, because that is what I havee in my blazer. This axle is a lot heavier and bigger round thn thee 44. So if anyone has a good pic or knows of a web site that has a pic, would you please shar it with me. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a Corporate 10 bolt front axle to me.
    There is an axle ID guide here at ck5, in the technical section I believe.
    -- Mike

3. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok well I looked at the chart, and it looks like either thee corporat 12 bolt or the dana 60, but not the corporate 10 bolt.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

there are a few ways to be sure that it is a 60: there will only be places for 3 u bolts and the passenger side will have 2 studs (or holes for bolts) where a u bolt would normally go. Dana axels have a number cast into the housing showing which model it is it is usually on the cover side of the diff near the bottom. If it turns out to be the very rare 12 bolt front end I would like to buy this off of you, let me know /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

ok sounds good Blazinaire. but what are you willing to pay?

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

He is being sarcastic because there are no 12 bolt front axle - were never made. It is kind of a running joke with the Chevy crowd.
    Do you have a pic of the axle? Post it and about 100 people will ID it for ya /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The easiest way to ID it would be to go look at the passenger side steering knuckle and tell us if the steering arm is held on by 4 nuts in a rectangle formation, or if the steering arm is kind of U shaped and held on by three big nuts in a row (not a perfectly straight line, but still a line.)
    If you don't know, the steering knuckle is what the drag link attaches to, on the axle.
    Let us know and we'll try to help you out.
    -- Mike

7. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but i do not have any pics at this time, But no it does not have four bolts on the steering knuckle, I already talked about this with my cousin who has been building his own mudders since 1985. Although it is bigger than a dana 44 and yet does not have the four bolts on the steering knuckle. That is why I think it is a dana 50. the diff and the axle housings are the size of a dana 60, but it has the the dana 44 stering knuckles.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Is the ppumpkin of this axle on the drivers side or what? cuz dana 50's come in fords.

i hope you didnt pay a dana 60 kinda price for this axle....

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I was told the idiot's guide to identifying a Dana 60 from fifty paces away was to look for kingpins. If there's balljoints it isn't a Dana 60.

Jason (willyswanter) has a pretty Dana 60 that he used to explain to me how to identify.

[​IMG]

10. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok first off, no the pumpkin is not on the drivers side. And secondly no it does not have the king pins. Although I do not have all the stuff to make it work on my blazer, so maybe the king pins are missing. It also looks like the GM CORPORATE 12-BOLT. So I am very confused as to what it maybe.

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I need a top steering arm like that.Werdidga /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif get it & how $. New crossover arm or whole high steer system is on top of list. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif [​IMG] So many ideas,So little money /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok ZonkRat, what are you talking about the top steering, crossover arm, and the whole high steer system. What are these items?? I appologize for my stupidity, but I don't know a whole lot of stuff about anything that has to do with nice rigs like these. That is why I came to you people for help. I heard from a friend that you are some very nice and helpful people.

13. Silver84k5

if its a 60 it will say 60f on the pumpkin, i belive its on the bottom right of the pumpkin, Did you check for the three u bolts?

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

http://www.alaskaoffroad.com/axle_tech.htm , [​IMG]
    The front axle can be identified by whether or not it has kingpins or ball joints. It would have kingpins if it was a Dana 60 (1ton axle) or ball joints if it was a Dana 44 (3/4 ton axle). The newer Dana 60's have ball joints but it is very unlikely that you have one. The other way to tell is to look at the diff housing from the front. On the right hand side there is a web that goes from the side of the cover down to where the tube is welded in. On that web there should be a 60 or a 44 cast into it. Again, the 60 would mean that it's a 1 ton, and a 44 means that it is a 3/4 ton or half ton. The Dana 44 came in both 1/2 and 3/4 the differences being the thickness of the tube and the 8 lug outers. The diff covers on the Dana 60 and 44 look almost identical so its easy to get them confused. [​IMG]

15. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Well I know that it ain't a dana 60, but the diff cover on my axle and the one in the pic from Z3PR look very much a like. So I don't know what it could be. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. Silver84k5

well if its not a 60 and it looks like the one in the pic, then its a 44, a 60 and a 44 diff covers look the same, the only difference is the size. Does your diff cover have a Oil check plug on it?

17. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok, the axle is out of a 1/2 ton, because it only has 6 bolts to hold the tire on. And it is a lot heavier the the 1/2 ton dana 44 mounted to the blazer right now. So I have no clue what the dumb thing could be. If you ask me I should junk it, but i would like to know what it is so I know what I am throwing away. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. Silver84k5

what year truck did it come from its eitheer a 44 or a 10..

19. Silver84k5

And how much did you friend charge you for the "d60" that is not a d60, he ripped you............

20. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

yes it does have an oil check plug on it.