Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A full float axle WILL lose a tire.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, May 11, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

This happened yesterday to my buddy. Whats funny is we were going down the road and I seen him trying to clean some mud chunks off his windsheild and it just kept smearing. I got him to pull over and asked if he wanted me to thro some water on the windshield. So there I am tossing water on the glass while hes running the wipers and another guy w/ us backs up the road and gets out. He walks up and says "WTF are you worried about seeing where your going?" and points to the left rear wheel which I am standing like 4 feet from. My buddy driving had his door open and I grabbed him and said "CHRIS! LOOK!" He starts laughing and says "I thought somethin didnt feel right." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif [​IMG] BTW, that is the cover truck on the June Petersens. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats an old Eaton or Rockwell rear axle. He has a stock pile of them. He is in the process of building a 14 for it anyway.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

how did that thing not fall off, looks like if you were to go a few more feet, that thing would be off,

What was holding it on?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

So what happened? Were the lock nuts for the bearings not torqued correctly or somethin'? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the tire is still on the axle, just a little shy of a housing

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Is that a duelie axle /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Thats the worst way I have ever seen to WIDEN the stance of a blazer! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Registered Member

no somethng doesn't seems to match on that pic. I think that rear wheel is a little bit too muck out-sticking if you compare to the rest /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That looks like the original Ford 9 inch axle to me. Not a full floater. You would have a serious problem before a FF axle shaft would come out like that.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    That looks like the original Ford 9 inch axle to me. Not a full floater.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Looks to me like there's a spindle sticking out of the end of the axle housing. A semi-floater wouldn't have that. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    You would have a serious problem before a FF axle shaft would come out like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    All you have to do is not tighten the bearing lock nuts down properly. Once the nuts back off, the wheel, hub, axle, etc. will all come right out... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've had the same thing happen with a new Ford in the past (thanks to inept work done under warranty by a Ford dealer! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ) But up front you have the caliper holding it together enough so that the wheel doesn't fall off. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif When you're out wheelin' all day you don't even notice that the bearings are coming loose. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that a duelie axle /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Thats the worst way I have ever seen to WIDEN the stance of a blazer! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh...that's a Bronco /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. Pure Insanity

I think he said its a Rockwell axle. Maybe an Eaton. Either way it looks like a big 9in.

Actually everything is still there except the balls... the nuts, washers, lock nuts, bearings, races, cages ETC All there.

Only thing holding it in is gravity. LOL!

If you look up the road in the pic the next turn was a left hander. IF he didnt lose it before there it would have come all the way out on that corner.

11. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh...that's a Bronco /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]And its the Big Bronco on the cover of Junes, 4wheel and OffRoad Magazine. Thats the back side view. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

holly crap! lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

At least it didn't happen on the highway! Not that the EB is ever driven on the highway, but... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

14. Pure Insanity

Actually it DOES see some street use. They just keep the tag in it if they have to go any distance and toss it on. He only lives like 5 miles from where we were but he still trailered it. Good thing too. LOL!

15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

One of our 'wheelin buddies has had that happen to him. He also ran the old eaton style rear axle. His problem was the threads had worn out and the nuts would hold tight anymore. They preloaded the bearings as best as possible and welded the nuts in place. Has worked for several years, strickly a bog truck that get trailered to every mud pit. When the bearings finally go it'll get a 14FF.