Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a good cb shop in atlanta?????

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by jlauto, Jun 24, 2004.

1. jlauto

jlauto Registered Member

I cant seem to find anyone with a swr meter. I bought a cb on ebay [​IMG]
    its a realistic 40 channel cb radio trc-435. I have the radio hooked up in my blazer with a 4ft whip antenna mounted to the rear bumper. according to the meter on the cb itself I go out of range on both 1 and 40. I havent checked the ground plane yet /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif, i have assumed so far that the bolts into the chrome bumper would have sufficant ground. I have tried to adjust the antenna up and down but cannot tell what direction i need to go /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif(up or down) bc...no swr meter. any advice would be helpful /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif. I know alot about engines, computers, ect... but not much about cbs.
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    gabe parker
    jandlautoservice.com

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Radio Shack sells SWR fairly cheap. There are a couple CB shops on I-75 just south of Atlanta, the first exit with the truck stops (wilco, sunshine, TA, Huddle House?), just listen and ask on channel 19 for the cb shops.

The bracket is probably grounded good to the bumper, but the bumper brackets to the frame usually will have rust between them and not a very good "electrical" connection. You could try to run a ground strap from the bumper or antenna mount to the frame (grind to bare metal for a good connection) and from the frame to the body in the same area. Running a 4' antenna off of the back bumper is less than ideal for achieving a low swr because the antenna is so close to the body and you may never get it (swr) set low. If you can get it under 2.0 to 1 it should be fine.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With that little 4 foot antenna, you may want to relocate it to the pass side mirror. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. jlauto

jlauto Registered Member

I Plan on moving the antenna to the mirror in about a month. right now the house that i am renting has a driveway that goes under part of the house. I clear it by about <font color="red"> 3 inches </font> /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif all the way around!!! after I move into my new place this will not be a concern. as I plan on moving it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    Would it be best to run a ground wire to the frame from the mirror mount location? also does anyone have any pics or advice on mirror mounts. I was thinking of drilling a hole through the top of the mirror mount and running it out of there. I am not sure how this would hold up.. then I would run the coax through the door and into the cab?

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

You want to keep the ground straps as short as possible or they can be seen by your antenna as another antenna that is grounded. You may be able to put the antenna on the mirror and have a good swr without ground straps. If a ground strap is required it would probably be best to go from the mirror bracket to one of the upper door hinge bolts that go into the cab (not the door), but hopefully it is not needed. There is a mirror bracket made for the GM truck mirrors, it has the holes drilled at 45 degrees and uses a u-bolt (or some use a plate with bolts) to attach it to the mirror, most truckstops will have them and maybe radioshack will too. Most will specify "GM mirror bracket"
    [​IMG]

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I Plan on moving the antenna to the mirror in about a month. right now the house that i am renting has a driveway that goes under part of the house. I clear it by about <font color="red"> 3 inches </font> /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif all the way around!!! after I move into my new place this will not be a concern. as I plan on moving it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    Would it be best to run a ground wire to the frame from the mirror mount location? also does anyone have any pics or advice on mirror mounts. I was thinking of drilling a hole through the top of the mirror mount and running it out of there. I am not sure how this would hold up.. then I would run the coax through the door and into the cab?

[/ QUOTE ] Use a spring between the mount and antenns at the mirror and the low clearence will be no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. jlauto

jlauto Registered Member

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    here is a pic of the blazer
    http://www.evite.com/viewPict?pictID=VDLRXABGXNUHZETNQWXT
    you can barely see the antenna. it is on the opposite corner. the flagpole kind of hides it.

[/ QUOTE ]Being mounter there, you'll always have a problem with the SWR's. You'll get reflextion bad. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

do you live in hampton? cuz theres a blazer like yours off my the road going to my girlfriends house.

10. jlauto

jlauto Registered Member

no, I live in atlanta, Im about to move thursday. My new place is about 3 miles from my shop in chamblee.
    here are some new pics of the blazer. I have moved the antenna to the back for wheeling. you can see it right behind the cab
    gabe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. huntingaddict

huntingaddict Registered Member

cb shop

B&B in Snellville, 124 & 78. Wayne is the tech. He has about anything you need and can setup your antenna with a good swr meter.

Tom